need 4x4 help again - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 02:49 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need 4x4 help again

My 4x4 is still not right. First off i have warn lockouts and ESOF. When i have the hubs locked in and i hit 4hi it grinds like an SOB until i slow down and then it softly clunks in, BUT even after its in 4hi when you are cruising down the road it still grinds. Its worse when you back off the throttle. Now if i unlock the hubs and hit 4hi i don't hear any grinding at all! That shouldn't be, it should grind like heck because the front end isn't spinning to match up with the rear end. I am assuming that something is fawked up in the t-case. ANyone else ever ahd this happen too or think of anything else to check?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2011, 03:25 PM

Anyone, bump this up.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Winning DUHHH

You have it backwards, When your locked in your front wheels are spinning the front axles, and differential, and driveshaft the same speed as your moving. And when you unlock them, your wheels are spinning freely, and the Axles, differential, and driveshaft arent moving until you try and click it into 4 wheel. It almost sounds like your T-Case isnt times correctly....If that even matters, OR you have a worn out synchro or gear.....Im leaning towards a mechanical failure at this point
Old 05-04-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldan2005 View Post
My 4x4 is still not right. First off i have warn lockouts and ESOF. When i have the hubs locked in and i hit 4hi it grinds like an SOB until i slow down and then it softly clunks in, BUT even after its in 4hi when you are cruising down the road it still grinds. Its worse when you back off the throttle. Now if i unlock the hubs and hit 4hi i don't hear any grinding at all! That shouldn't be, it should grind like heck because the front end isn't spinning to match up with the rear end. I am assuming that something is fawked up in the t-case. ANyone else ever ahd this happen too or think of anything else to check?
I know sometimes i run on in posts, but if you read my post its not backwards. Obviously when the hubs are UNLOCKED the axles and shafts aren't spinning but thats when if i try to lock it in it doesn't grind at all. Even though the t case is spinning while moving in 2wd. In my old truck with a manual t case, if you tried to pull the lever into 4x4 while the hubs were unlocked it would grind until you stopped moving. With the hubs locked in you could pull it right back into 4x4 at any speed. Only difference is on my new truck i have an electric motor doing the switching instead of a manual lever.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:44 PM
Winning DUHHH

Well, IDK then. I have WARN Manual lockers on mine. Regardless of the hubs being locked/unlocked. Nothing grinds.
I just went and tried it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.