PLEASE HELP!!! ive searched for hours. passenger side grinds when in 4wd - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation PLEASE HELP!!! ive searched for hours. passenger side grinds when in 4wd

ok ive had this problem since i got the truck but since i dont use my 4wd as much as i want to it hasnt bothered me but now i need to find a solution... first my vac pump must be out cause the switch doesnt lock my hubs i have to turn them manually. but thats not the issue. when i engage it the passenger side wheel grinds and pops the whole time it is engaged. i pulled the locking hub out and when i shake it it sounds like there are some parts rattling around. also the shaft that comes out of the axle can be shaken up and down and side to side.... what is the specific part(s) that could be broke? the wheel still spins and makes no noise when unlocked and drives fine when in 2wd. please help. please please please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Navy Diver 5342
I am having issues with my 4x4 as well. I replaces my vacuum pump and selonoid next to it. Sounds like you might have some issues with the seals on the axle. take a flashlight and see if the axle dust seal is there, if not check your oil in the front to make sure it does have oil, you can take everything apart up to the axle and check each part out. Lock the hub and see if it locks, then unlocks, check our hoses from the hub to the frame connection. You could have some relay problems and I am trying to locate them, myself.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

thank you. im not worried about the auto part working. i prefer to lock my hubs manually anyways. what has me concerned is the movement i get out of the shaft that the locker hub slides on to. it moves up and down. but the other one does not
Old 02-16-2011, 08:31 PM

It depends on how much play you have in the spindle. If you can move it a lot you could have bearing issues but grinding and popping noises when in 4x4 can also just be a broken hub. Does 4x4 work when you put it in manually?
Old 02-16-2011, 08:40 PM

If the axle is moving inside the spindle or behind the hubb its a very good possibility that the U joint is bad an that will cause the knocking, clicking and grinding. If the U joint is completely gone then it may be to late for for the back bearing in the hub, and that to can lead to a whole lott of noise and vibration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.