automatic hubs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
automatic hubs

When my hubs are on the automatic setting, counterclockwise i guess, correct me if im wrong. When they are in this setting the axle u joints will not spin freely. When i take my hand and spin one u joint it will not move at all, spin the other one and it spins along with the front drive shaft. If i jack one side up and spin the wheel the u joint spins as well. Does this mean my hubs are not disengaging properly, if so what do i need to do to fix this? should i go with aftermarket hubs like i have read in earlier threads?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2011, 05:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i had the same issue on my 2002 i would have to wiggle the u-joint back and forth while turning the hub to the unlocked position so i purchased warn hubs and lets just say disappointed clip kept coming off the back side so they are being returner and i currently have a set of dynatrac dynaloc hubs on the way (Dynatrac DynaLoc Locking Hub)
Old 01-22-2011, 07:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Your hubs are bad. I would put warns in it and call it good.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:59 PM

Ditch the auto hubs... summit racing has MM premiums stainless steel hubs for under 100 I paid like 94 dollars for mine to my door. just my .02
Old 02-12-2011, 05:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Navy Diver 5342
2000.00 for the dyna trac, I dont think so
Old 02-13-2011, 02:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

not sure where you are getting your pricing from but if you click on the link in my previous post you will see FO60-3B396-A OEM Ford Super Duty '99-'04, D50F/D60F 30-Spline listed at $539.00 now if you needed the free spin hub kit then that would be the case but it is not always necessary, i did not need the kit and after warns run around and costing me the money of replacing all of the bearings in the front axle because the oh so knowledgeable "Tech" support was sure that was the reason that their hubs kept coming apart when in fact it wasn't. so i have gave up on warn and decided to go with a better option that will not fall apart and fail, and if they do fail they fail to the locked position so u aren't left stranded in 2wd if you need it. but everyone's open to their own opinions and that's mine
Old 02-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Mitch

On my truck, the passenger side would allow the axle to spin freely when in 2wd while the driver's side would stay engaged. When I took a rubber mallet and beat on the hub a little bit, the axle freed up. I then tore both hubs apart, serviced and greased all the internal components and now both axles are free.

The problem is that I don't think they were ever taken off of Auto so the selector knob is frozen on Auto. We built a custom tool for turning the hubs and were able to break them loose. Hopefully I will be able to work the knobs to the point where I can just use my hand to lock in the hubs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.