Bad hub to knuckle seal and VIBRATION?!? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 06:09 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad hub to knuckle seal and VIBRATION?!?

Hey Ya'll,

I've got another front end question to add to the many that are out there. I've searched the web and havent found anything usefull on my own, so I'm asking help from the best people I can think of. I am getting a vibration that travels up my steering column to the steering wheel, and it's driving me nuts!
I've got it narrowed down to 2nd gear around 1500 RPM and around 30-45MPH. Its not a jaw chattering vibration, but I don't want to let it get to the point that something catastrophic happens. Could a warped hub to knuckle seal or bad front axle u-joints cause this?

My truck: has new ball joints(napa premium), new hub/bearings(timken), new sway bar end links, rear drive shaft u-joints, re-greased drive shaft slip joint, new shocks, Cooper STT's rotated every 3k and recently road force balanced.

When I replaced my ball joints, I DID NOT replace the axle u-joints because i didn't think they needed them. That was a NEWBIE mistake. I now know that I should have done them anyways since I already had everything appart, and if thats new info for you, replace EVERYTHING if you're going to have to pull the front axles! If you don't, you'll end up like me kicking yourself in the A$$!

I did warp one of the hub to knuckle seals installing it on the stub shaft, but I dont see how this could cause vibration while driving in 2WD. Does the front driveline spin while driving in 2WD?
-JD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2011, 11:02 AM

Old 01-17-2011, 09:44 AM

I think I've got it figured out for the most part. It appears that the front axle's still spin even when the auto hub is set to AUTO. I guess there's enough friction from the tire spinning on the hub to turn the axles once the truck gets up to speed. At that point the bent hub seal is out of balance, along with the bad u-joints and VOILA! My roaring noise+steering wheel vibration. I've got new parts on the way, which will hopefully fix my issue. I'll post the results after the repair if anyone else is having similar symptoms with their front end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.