Rear Axle leak.......HELP......!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 07:36 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rear Axle leak.......HELP......!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 99 f250 4x4 and my rear axle seal in leaking...because it is all over the inside of my tire...i just woundering how u got bout changing it the easiest way to fix it...thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2010, 07:47 PM
Premium Member

its not hard at all, pop the rotor off, you then pop the axle off by removing the 8 bolts holding it in and pry it out. then you are going to have to rent or but the 4 prong hub nut removal socket. you pop the hub off being careful not to drop the wheel bearing on the ground. Then you take a seal remover or a big screwdriver and pry the old seal off the back of the hub and evenly press the new one in., then you just put it together. Be sure to tighten the hub nut to the factory spec and you may as well replace the oring on the axle shaft while you in there.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford99 View Post
I have a 99 f250 4x4 and my rear axle seal in leaking...because it is all over the inside of my tire...i just woundering how u got bout changing it the easiest way to fix it...thanks
What you might try first is clearing your axle tube vent line. What commonly happens is this line gets plugged with sludge or dirt and causes the axle to pressure up and force oil out the seals. Sometimes it's the pinion seal, sometimes the axle seal, or both. You need to pull the rubber tube off the fitting on the axle tube and clean it out with a drill bit and also blow the rubber line out with air. I had a major oil leak on my axle seal recently. I cleared the vent line and the leak stopped. Hope this helps.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:02 PM

thanks for the help guys
Old 12-28-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandamo View Post
its not hard at all, pop the rotor off, you then pop the axle off by removing the 8 bolts holding it in and pry it out. then you are going to have to rent or but the 4 prong hub nut removal socket. you pop the hub off being careful not to drop the wheel bearing on the ground. Then you take a seal remover or a big screwdriver and pry the old seal off the back of the hub and evenly press the new one in., then you just put it together. Be sure to tighten the hub nut to the factory spec and you may as well replace the oring on the axle shaft while you in there.
what is the part number for the 4 prong socket...???and what is the factory spec for the hub also...???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.