Transfer Case Locked In 4x4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transfer Case Locked In 4x4

I was out today and needed to put in 4x4, it went into 4x4 normally and when i went to take it out it wouldn't respond, I put it in neutral and also shut trk off but still it didn't help. So I put it in low 4x4 and it also went in but now its stuck in 4x4 low, I've tried everything and it won't function, I've ck fuses and switch and there is no noise coming from actuator motor on transfer case. So if someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it I think it possibly could be a relay for high/ low operation of transfer case just not sure where to start.

AJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2010, 08:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

you have an automatic switch or a manual shift???

if yours is an auto switch, just pull off the wire harnesses going into the t-case. spray them down with some circuit cleaner, make sure you connection is good and i think that will help your problem.

i assume it is an auto switch, however if not than you need a new t-case haha
Old 12-17-2010, 09:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Go underneath and find the transfer case actuator motor. Gently smack it with a hammer and block of wood. The key word here is gently. This worked on my 97 Expedition when the 4x4 would not engage. Good place to start before bringing out the wrenches. Hope this helps.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcducote View Post
you have an automatic switch or a manual shift???

if yours is an auto switch, just pull off the wire harnesses going into the t-case. spray them down with some circuit cleaner, make sure you connection is good and i think that will help your problem.

i assume it is an auto switch, however if not than you need a new t-case haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
Go underneath and find the transfer case actuator motor. Gently smack it with a hammer and block of wood. The key word here is gently. This worked on my 97 Expedition when the 4x4 would not engage. Good place to start before bringing out the wrenches. Hope this helps.
Correct it is auto switch and I have already tried smacking it and it didn't respond, I probed all connections including switch plug and couldn't find voltage that would light up my test light, so what I did last night was take the actuator motor off and manually put it back in 2-wheel high till I figure out whats going on. I'm thinking its a relay because I seen in a diagnostic page on this that they control clockwise motion of motor and counter clockwise motion and it seems to have clockwise motion but not the other,we'll see. Thanks for your advice.

AJ
Old 12-18-2010, 07:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I sure like the look of your truck. Did you do the pin stripe and gray accent stripe yourself or was it like that from the factory? I have a 06/cc/sb, black and have been thinking about dressing it up a bit. Any hints would help. Hope you get the 4x4 system working without breaking the bank.
Graeme
Old 12-18-2010, 10:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
I sure like the look of your truck. Did you do the pin stripe and gray accent stripe yourself or was it like that from the factory? I have a 06/cc/sb, black and have been thinking about dressing it up a bit. Any hints would help. Hope you get the 4x4 system working without breaking the bank.
Graeme
I bought it like that and the color of pin stripes and accent strip are a goldish color actually but they do look grayish lol . Well back to 4x4 problem I've ck all relays I think that have to do with t/c motor operation and also used a battery and some jumper wires to bench test motor to see if it works and I hooked to the small plug which I figured was for motor operation and it would work that way, I hooked grd to one prong of the motor 2 prong plug and the pos to the other and it would go one direction fully and reversed hook ups and it would go other direction fully, now the other multi-wire plug must control when it starts moving and what direction and where to stop turning according signal from switch on dash and other sensors involved. So maybe if some could get me some pictures of location of relays and any control modules that control t/c motor I would really appreciate it.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did you ever figure anything out? My dads truck is stuck in 2wd with no motor shift noise.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofasta View Post
I bought it like that and the color of pin stripes and accent strip are a goldish color actually but they do look grayish lol . Well back to 4x4 problem I've ck all relays I think that have to do with t/c motor operation and also used a battery and some jumper wires to bench test motor to see if it works and I hooked to the small plug which I figured was for motor operation and it would work that way, I hooked grd to one prong of the motor 2 prong plug and the pos to the other and it would go one direction fully and reversed hook ups and it would go other direction fully, now the other multi-wire plug must control when it starts moving and what direction and where to stop turning according signal from switch on dash and other sensors involved. So maybe if some could get me some pictures of location of relays and any control modules that control t/c motor I would really appreciate it.
idk if this will help but on my truck the relays for 4x4 are under the hood on the driver side and its 2 relays and they should be together in a plastic case. I had this problem except i was stuck in 2wd and i replaced both the relays and 4x4 works good know
Old 12-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispaine View Post
Did you ever figure anything out? My dads truck is stuck in 2wd with no motor shift noise.
Well I used the battery booster with motor off and reclocked it for 2wd and had talked to ford about using their scan tool made just for the 4wd system but the day I was going to take it I thought I would see if it would do the same thing and when I flip it in to 4wd high it went right in and switched it back to 2wd and it worked like new and also had no problems with 4wd low either so who knows I had ck everything I could and including those relays mentioned below vvvv we'll see how does all winter, I'll keep you guys posted if it acts up again I think its in the circuit board of the motor that tells it where to stop at the correct position IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower65 View Post
idk if this will help but on my truck the relays for 4x4 are under the hood on the driver side and its 2 relays and they should be together in a plastic case. I had this problem except i was stuck in 2wd and i replaced both the relays and 4x4 works good know
Old 12-29-2010, 11:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofasta View Post
Well I used the battery booster with motor off and reclocked it for 2wd and had talked to ford about using their scan tool made just for the 4wd system but the day I was going to take it I thought I would see if it would do the same thing and when I flip it in to 4wd high it went right in and switched it back to 2wd and it worked like new and also had no problems with 4wd low either so who knows I had ck everything I could and including those relays mentioned below vvvv we'll see how does all winter, I'll keep you guys posted if it acts up again I think its in the circuit board of the motor that tells it where to stop at the correct position IMO
Well goo luck with it man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.