Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

4x4 doesnt work

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  maddogv21 
#1 ·
just tested my 4wd the other day to make sure it was working since the snow just came.....well it doesnt work! the transfer case engages and the dash light comes on but the 4wd didnt work! If the front hubs/wheel bearing assembly are bad, will that prevent the 4wd from working properly? I havent tried locking the hubs manually yet, but I will give it a try just to see. Any info would be great! thanks

#2 ·
If it works while it is manual but not is auto you are looking at a vacuum leak. If you hubs are busted you will here popping and or grinding.

#4 ·
does air blow from you defrost when you put it in 4x4? If so then your esof will not work because you have a vacuum leak somewhere going to your front hubs. You can either find the leak and fix it or just do like I did and go with manual hubs only (warn) and never have to worry about a leak again.

#7 ·
does air blow from you defrost when you put it in 4x4? If so then your esof will not work because you have a vacuum leak somewhere going to your front hubs. You can either find the leak and fix it or just do like I did and go with manual hubs only (warn) and never have to worry about a leak again.

Not trying to highjack :icon_ford: but...

My truck has done this before. I had my air on, needed to put er' in 4x4, once I did the defrost kicked in but the 4x4 worked. The A/C started working again shortly after though...

Is this a sign of a problem in the future most likely? Also what is "esof"?

Thanks!

#5 ·
i did here some popping a while back, but it went away. Ill try to lock them and see what happens....and I will also look into the warm hubs. They are a bit pricey though no? thanks for the input.....I heard about the defrost thing before too......so if the 4x4 is on and the defrost doesnt work? i have a vacuum leak? can you explain a little more on that one? The vacuum leak shouldnt matter though if I manually lock the hubs right?

#6 ·
found them at partsbin.com for $209....good price?

#10 ·
TO answer your question ipz2222, in my case, one of my hubs is seized. I have tried PB blaster, hammering on it (gently), pliers for leverage.....it simply will NOT move. so its either I have 3 wheel drive, or I replace them.....and I might as well go with warn and not deal with the esof.....

#12 ·
I went ahead and bought the Warn hubs and put them in. 4x4 works again!!! yay! When I took the drivers side hub out (the one that was siezed) it came out in pieces, haha....problem solved!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.