4x4 problems, again! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 02:34 AM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4x4 problems, again!

I put warn lockouts in my truck and now when i go to put it into 4x4 it grinds until i slow down to 5-10mph. It didn't do this with my auto's. This is with the warns locked in too. So whats the deal? I can see it doing this if the hubs weren't locked in, but there is no reason for grinding if the whole driveline is turning at the same speed. I am lost here. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2010, 02:49 AM
Retired Soldier!

I have mile markers on mine and it does not do that. Are you sure they are installed correctly? When I was installing mine I put one of them on wrong the first time and it was locked all the time. I would take them off and reinstall them again to make sure they are locking and unlocking correctly. Not sure if internally they are the same, but they should be similar.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:29 AM

Yeah they are doing the exact opposite of what they would normally do. When they are disengaged, the t case will drop in just fine, but the front end won't lock in. I had been taking them on and off a lot when i was working on my t case so maybe i put them on wrong? Its kinda hard to do, but anything is possible i guess.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:34 AM
Retired Soldier!

I hear you, I thought I had mine on right the first time also. I jacked my front end up in the air and worked on one at a time to make sure they worked correctly. I had the auto hubs on it when I bought it and they would not operate correctly. My left one was locking in and out going down the road.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm not sure how the hubs could do that though,,,,

Warns really aren't any different than Fords manual hubs (except being made better )

Locked-is-Locked and if the ft diff is spinning (because the hubs Are locked) when the TC tries to engage and it grinds then I'd think the problem is in there.

Maybe the reason it didn't do it before the Warns was because the old ones weren't working....
Old 12-01-2010, 07:25 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Can you identify where the grinding is coming from. Are you sure it is coming from the hubs. It maybe the t-case grinding.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:16 PM

Sorry guys, i should have said where the grinding was coming from. I was in a hurry when i posted this up. It is coming from the t case, just like the front hubs aren't locked in and you try to sync up the t case with a non moving driveshaft. I put my auto's back in tonight and everything seemed ok. I did notice that with the auto's back in the first time i hit the 4x4 i heard the grinding again and when i slowed down it clunked into 4x4. After that i could take it in and out just fine at what ever speed and i had 4x4. So i don't know what the heck it was doing. The only problem now is my auto's still stick. I lubed them up and hit em a few times to free them up again. I can turn the locking dial pretty easy now. It just seems weird that the t case would be grinding if the front end is matched up when they are locked (warns) or when the auto's engage via vacuum.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:37 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Well be prepared to either replace or rebuild your t-case.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:31 AM

I don't want to go down that whole road again. As long as it engages at low speeds thats all i need. I only use it in the winter or occasionally to pull my boat out of a ramp. At least 4 low works now, some of you know what i am talking about.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:04 AM
Retired Soldier!

Is it a manual shift or is it the vacuum type? If it is manual shift the linkage could be worn, if it is vacuum it could be a leak. I know it is not your highest concern but these may be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.