Hub/4x4 question....problem..... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 12:04 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hub/4x4 question....problem.....

Well guys I put the truck in 4 wheel drive today and It worked great!!! But when I took it out I got a sound like I was driving on rumble strips for a split second. The hubs say free/lock instead of auto/lock, and I have the the knob in the dash for the 4x4. And before I bought the truck the dealer said they changed the hubs out. And they do look new..altho I have torn them apart to really find out. But since from the factory it has the vacum system, now is there a vacum line in there that should of been plugged and wasnt???? And what do I look for?

I have already changed the sway bar bushing and end links, and I have found that I do have a worn out rear spring bushing on the drivers side. If that helps in elimanating some trouble spots. Ok I forgot to add its a 2000 F350 SRW
Thanks,
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2010, 01:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
My guess would be your needle brgs are shot in the hubs NOT the "lock" hubs but in the front hub bearings themselves. The test for this is if the "rumble" noise happends in 2WD Only, Never in 4WD.

Here's a link to their replacement. Not a bad job and the parts are as cheap as you'll find when fixing your 4WD

Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page
Old 11-12-2010, 01:20 PM

Thats when it happens is in 2wd and going down the road..Thanks man I really appreciate the link! But with these hubs being new and manual locking hubs, do you think thats my problem?
Thanks Again,
Chris

Last edited by Tamper84; 11-12-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:02 PM

I don't want to confuse the two though, you're saying your hubs are new. As I read it, I thought you were talking about the "Locking" Hubs", they look new to you, the thing you set to Free/Lock - right?

That's Not where these bearings are located. The "hubs" we're talking about here are your Wheel Bearings. They come in an assembly you pull from the ft knuckle (you can't really "see" them to look if the look new or not)

So, if you think the ft wheel bearing hubs are new, then - NO, they would have come with new needles in them.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:20 PM

My four wheel drive hubs are new. Correct. So your saying my wheel bearings are junk? And that link you gave me deals with them? Im confused here with the 2 hub part lol. Anyway the part that really confuses me is when I have had wheel bearings go bad before, they constantly grinded. And now its only once in a great while. And this rumbling noise I am getting seems to only happen after it is out of 4WD. Again I really appreciate your help, Im just dumb here lol.
Thanks Again,
Chris
Old 11-12-2010, 02:30 PM

Ok I see now lol....I was thinking wheel bearings as the usual tapered bearings. Thats where I got confused But can I only change one side or should I just change both? And I just checked out the prices of those hubs!!! WOW.......thats an expensive bearing..Ok I had another Doh moment. lol...so Ill have to change the outer shaft on the axle too correct? And I should even tear apart to check the needle bearing until I have the orings to replace on the 4wd hub? Sorry about all of my questions I just dont want to tear into this and realize I need a couple of more parts or an o ring is holding me up.
Thanks Again,
Chris

Last edited by Tamper84; 11-12-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:20 PM

It's Ok, it's not that serious,,,, The wheel brgs are 2 ball bearings pressed into a "hub" (when they fail there is actually not much "play" in them) it's all about noise at first. But NO, it doesn't mean you have to replace those.

Read the link on guzzles page. It's about maintenance but has everything you need to replace them. They're cheap and, depending on your mechanical background, a pretty simple job to do (it looks more complicated than it actually is)

So, here's how it all works,,,, when you're in 4WD the stub axle (it goes from the U-Joint through the center of the hub) spins at the same speed as the wheel. No need for the needle brgs to do anything.

In 2WD the axle, U-Joint, & stub axle all are stationary while the wheel is turning so, the stub axle needs some support inside the spinning hub. THAT's where the needles come in AND if they're shot you hear that noise.

A search here on the word "needle" would bring-up lots of threads I'm sure

With my 14v Dewalt impact wrench, a 13/16s deep socket, and the right snap ring pliers, I could change a side in under an hour (NOT the first time I tried it!). Finding the Snap Ring pliers took the longest time to find the first time I did it

I would order the brgs from Ford (take guzzles part # with you) and, since you don't have vacuum hubs, I wouldn't even worry about the O-ring... The last time I bought the brgs they were around $10.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Chapter Director

get under the truck and see if the axle shaft has up and down play with in the housing/knuckle. if it does yoiu need to replace the needle bearing ASAP

this happened to me and locked up the front wheel on the highway and destroyed the axleshaft...
Old 11-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Serving Our Country!

Freeride, after your half shaft was destroyed, how much did it run to replace it? I just took apart my right hub for the second time in a year and the needle bearings are toast. I also noticed that the outer part of the right half shaft has scarred the outer shaft. I asked the dealership but they said they have to sell me the entire right side (from the diff to the wheel).
Old 11-12-2010, 04:55 PM
Chapter Director

thats BS you can get just the outer shaft, they told me the same thing though, but i had the part number for just the outer shaft, ill get it for you

the shaft itself was like 200 iirc ill check and let you know for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.