loose hub leaking oil - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 12:43 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
loose hub leaking oil

i have a 2001 f350 and the front passenger side hub is loose and it wiggles a lot. also the axle on the passenger side is leaking oil right were the safte goes into the axle body. is the leaking caused by the loose hub. i dont know much about axles just motors. so if anyone can help it would be very helpful. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I noticed today that mine is doing the same thing on the passeneger side. Pretty sure same spot as yours. Don't know much about it either but I'm guessing there is an oil seal thats going.

Hopefully someone chimes in on how to change it.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:36 AM

sounds to me that you might have one of a few different problems or a combination. the hub problem could be from a bad hub or a wheel bearing that is shot and the leaking fluid sounds like you have a bad inner axle seal. the best thing to do is to start tearing your front end down and see what is going on.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:41 AM

yea me and my buddy are going to tear the passenger side apart over thanksgiving figured might as well do it to both sides to while im down there dont feel like having to do it down the road in a little bit. and my buddy thinks it might be a wheel seal. is there anyway to tell besides tearing it apart
Old 11-07-2010, 12:50 PM

well one way to test a wheel bearing is to jack up the side and pull out on the bottom of the tire and push in on the top and vice versa. if you get some movement then its probably a bearing. i dont know of a way to test the seal besides pulling it out. when you go to install a new seal you will need to make a driver out of a 1 1/2 inch galvanized nipple and a flange to hammer it on. or you could buy one from ford
Old 11-08-2010, 02:33 PM

i know the test with the wheel bearing just havent gotten around to it i just keep filling the gear oil back up to the top every two weeks or so just so i dont have to get new axle bearings down the road
Old 11-08-2010, 02:43 PM
Premium Member

If its leaking out the axle tube then you have leaking in axle seals. You need to remove both axle shafts and the carrier to replace those seals. Its a fairly big job. You might as well do front axle u-joints, all 4 ball joints and sounds like you need a wheel bearing too.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:25 PM

alright so i got some good news i found out that none or very little oil has leaked out of the axle. i finally got a chance to pull off the cover and it leaked some of the oil out so i figured if it did leak some oil it was very little but it seemed like a lot more so i think now it is just the wheel hub or bearing or something of that nature
Old 11-10-2010, 07:18 AM

mine was leaking like that for a while and then all of a sudden it stopped and the diff. is still full so i just didnt worry about it.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:36 AM

Well I took a quick look today & mine doesn't appear to leaking now either. I haven't checked the oil level in the diff. & I haven't used the 4x4 since I noticed the leak. Which is probably why its not leaking now. I expect once I use the 4x4 it will start leaking again. I need to get under the truck & take a better look cause leaks usually don't fix themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.