manuel hubs and turn knob - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2010, 04:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
manuel hubs and turn knob

I just purchased a 2001 F250 4x4, read through manuel, and I still have a question about engaging 4wd.

This truck has manuel locking hubs and a knob selection for 2wd, 4H, and 4L. Previous owner said Ford did this to please old timers that wanted manuel locking hubs. He said I did not need to lock them in and only needed to use knob.

Reading through manuel, I see no information on this. Manuel address either manueal with a gear shifter, or knob inside, but not both.

Previous owner also said if knob did not engage 4wd, just get out and lock the hubs.

Anyone familiar with this set-up and how it works. It seems 4wd once engaged without locking hubs and another time it did not engage until I locked the hubs.

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2010, 07:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Wow, the previous owner of your truck didn't have a clue as how 4WD in his truck worked

I'm gonna assume he just left the manual hubs locked all the time......

You Do need BOTH the hubs locked (two dots lined-up) And the transfercase selector in a 4WD position (either Hi or Low) to be in 4WD.

A couple of things.....

The reason for a manual vs vacuum system (called ESOF for electronic shift on the fly) is reliability vs convenience (and expense too I guess)

Leaving your hubs locked all the time will cost you in fuel mileage as you're increasing the rolling resistance of the truck by making it spin everything up front.

Although you can shift into 4W-Hi while rolling down the road (not at hiway speeds) the 4W-Low needs you to stop, and getting it Out of low might need you to put the trans in Neutral and let the truck "roll" a little while pulling on the lever.

I'm sure it's all in the manual, take that as the correct info as opposed to what "owners" say
Old 10-28-2010, 11:49 AM

Sounds like your describing my 01. Blue over silver? Mine wouldn't always go into 4x4 with the switch becasue it had a vacuum leak. When I needed it I would lock in the hubs and then the 4x4 worked fine off the switch. When I didn't need 4x4 I would manually unlock the hubs and all was fine.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:39 PM

If you have the knob on the dash you have auto locking hubs. This means they will lock automatically from a vaccum pulled from the motor when you flip the know into 4H or 4L. These hubs also have the feature of being manualy locked. If your vaccum seals are good and everything is working right you should be able to flip the switch and your hubs will lock as your transfere case shifts into 4x4. IF you have a bad vaccum seal you can manualy lock your hubs by getting out and turnign them to lock. A way to check to see if you have the proper hubs in is to look at your hub. It should say"auto or lock" on the face. Mine do not say auto cuz i have manual hubs and the shifter in the floor. You can flip your hubs into lock and leave them locked if you choose. although on hard over turns you may feel a knocking and this will decrease your fuel mileage. If there is a heavy snow on the ground i leave mine locked so i have the option of pulling the shifter whenever i need to without having to get out and lock the hubs.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman40 View Post
If you have the knob on the dash you have auto locking hubs. This means they will lock automatically from a vaccum pulled from the motor when you flip the know into 4H or 4L. These hubs also have the feature of being manualy locked. If your vaccum seals are good and everything is working right you should be able to flip the switch and your hubs will lock as your transfere case shifts into 4x4. IF you have a bad vaccum seal you can manualy lock your hubs by getting out and turnign them to lock. A way to check to see if you have the proper hubs in is to look at your hub. It should say"auto or lock" on the face. Mine do not say auto cuz i have manual hubs and the shifter in the floor. You can flip your hubs into lock and leave them locked if you choose. although on hard over turns you may feel a knocking and this will decrease your fuel mileage. If there is a heavy snow on the ground i leave mine locked so i have the option of pulling the shifter whenever i need to without having to get out and lock the hubs.

This is kinda off subject but my hubs are very hard to turn.. or dont turn at all... but it locks in and out of 4wd just find..and the hubs are in auto setting.. any ideas how to get the hubs to spin more freely..
Old 10-28-2010, 07:14 PM

this is a simple process. take of your center cap to gain access to your hub. You will see the locking pin that goes around the hub. sweeze the two ends together to and pull the locking ring out. Then wiggle the hub out. Its should come out easy but if it doesnt spray with some WD-40 and tap it with a rubber mallet. On the back face of the hub there are little slots that go all the way around. I just took some WD-40 or penetrating oil and squeezed it in those slots. Try turn you hub and this should free it up. The lock and unlock it a few times and it should be as good as new. Then you simple reinstall the hub just opposite of how you took it out. Ford says its not nessacary to grease the hubs or the splines. But I put a think coast of grease on the splines just to make it a little easier for removal later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.