Possibly bearing noise? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2010, 06:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Possibly bearing noise?

I getting a kinda of roar from what i think is the front end. Its not the typical bearing roar though. Just last year I replaced both hub assemblies cuz the needle bearings were shot. Now i know i can replace just the needle bearings. anyway i did the hub test and locked the hubs and i still get the noise. I even put it in 4x4 and still get it. I only hear it in the cab and a slow speeds of 25 and slower. I guess the motor is to loud otherwise. But IF i hold me head out the window i cant hear it. only in the cab. I have not had a chance to pull the hubs assemblies off and check. I did pull the locking hubs and there is no rust dust inside which i had last time. any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2010, 04:57 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcaveman
I have the same issue. Got a question for you though. Did you replace your whole hub assembly or can you break them down and re lube/replace bearings? I am going to tear mine apart on thursday but cant seem to find anything as far as the break down in the Ford Pub. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:05 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

Oh boy, this sounds just like my 03 6.0. I had it at 2 different shops to try and find the bearing noise and nothing. I had replaced BOTH wheel bearings, brakes, hubs, and tires with NO change at all. Last place said it was roaring in the whole driveline from the trans back to the rear end. Funny part is mine would get worse when you turn the wheel or get quieter going the opposite way. Have you checked u joints/carrier bearings in the rear?
Old 10-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcaveman View Post
I have the same issue. Got a question for you though. Did you replace your whole hub assembly or can you break them down and re lube/replace bearings? I am going to tear mine apart on thursday but cant seem to find anything as far as the break down in the Ford Pub. Thanks in advance.
You can replace the carrier bearing in the hub the carries the axle shaft. I had not done this myself but I have heard many say it can be done. If you search the threads hard enough someone out there has the ford part number for it. I have taken both hubs off and checked them. Everything is good. I have check the locking hub assemblies and the axle shaft. I still get this noise. I can only hear it a low speeds and it doesnt make a difference when I hit the brakes. My options now are to check my u joints and drive shaft carrier. Does anyone have any tips on what I should look for? Are there any dead giveaways that I have a bad u joint or carrier bearing?
Old 10-29-2010, 08:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Possibly bearing noise?

I had this same issue with my wife's Dodge and after replacing the front wheel bearings and the noise still there I got underneath and checked the U-Joints. Unfortunately you can't feel if the needle bearings in one of the caps are shot without taking the shaft out. Well, I did so and sure enough the front joint had one cap with no grease with few needles left in it. Replaced the U-joints and noise was gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.