4x4 not working - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4x4 not working

Truck has new Warn manual locking hubs approx. 20 k ago. Stick on the floor so no no dial selector. When I put the truck in 4wheel high or 4wheel low the light on the dash comes on like it should but truck does not go into 4x4. Not 100% sure if the front driveshaft is turning or not but pretty sure it is not. Will get my wife to drive it around driveway tommorow so I can see for sure. Hubs seem to lock in like they always did & stick feels the same as well. I have not used the 4x4 for a few months but the last time it was used it worked fine.

Looking for suggestions on what to check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2010, 11:30 AM

Got my kids to watch the front drive shaft & in 4 wheel high & low it does turn. I got under the truck & with the hubs unlocked I turned the front driveshaft by hand & the u- joint by the passenger wheel turned but the one on the drivers side did not. Should the u - joints turn or not turn when I spin the driveshaft? I'm thinking they should which leads me to beleive I have a problem with my drivers side hub. That make sense?

I know nothing about how manual hubs are put together so is there a how-to on them on here somewhere?
Old 10-14-2010, 03:24 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The diff has 3 points, the two axles and the pinion (driveshaft) When you turn one, only ONE of the others need turn along with it (with a standard "open" ft diff).

So, with both hubs unlocked, it's probably a toss-up as to which U-Joint turns. Lock one side and the other will turn (because it has to).

Lock both and the driveshaft should be locked too (with the tires on the ground)

This is all with the Transfer Case in either 2WD or Neutral.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:55 AM

Well tried a suggestion that was suggested on another site.

I locked both hubs & jacked up one front tire & turned it. If the hub is locked then the front driveshaft should turn. It didn't. Jacked up the other front tire & turned it & front driveshaft did not turn. Got both front tires off the ground & tried turning them & front driveshaft did not turn. I can hear a clicking noise inside each hub/tire when they are locked & I turn the tire.

Does this mean both hubs are not working? I find it hard to beleive that both went out.

I'm confused now.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:42 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
OK there are 1/2dz ways to check the connection between the TC and the tires. Did you try and lock the hubs and turn the driveshaft as I suggested above? (tires on the ground)

If both hubs are locked the driveshaft shouldn't be able to turn. If it does, you'll see one of the U-Joints turning. Jam a screwdriver in it (that hubs Not Locked) does the other U-Joint turn? If so, neither's locked.

If not, you have one locked and one unlocked. Look carefully at the unlocked one, maybe put it in the other position?

The best way to demonstrate the system is to put the TC in 4WD, lock both sides and jack-up one side at a time. With everything working you shouldn't be able to turn the tire because the rear tires can't be turned. Then, unlock that hub and it will spin free. Try the other side - same thing should happen.

Keep in mind though, it might take some wiggling back & forth to free or engage the hub at first as the internals slide on the greasy splines.

The hubs should be pretty easy to remove, clean, inspect, and regrease.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:35 AM

These are aftermarket Warm manual locking hubs. They have about 20k miles on them.

I took them apart on both sides & I found no broken parts. I did notice that on the passenger side the big gear was all the way in & was stuck. So that side had been locked in all along. That's why the u joint would turn on that side when I turned the front driveshaft. The big gear was all the way out on the drivers side. I jacked up the wheel on the drivers side, pushed the big gear in while turning the wheel & driveshaft did turn. I poped that gear back out, put the cover back on, turned it to lock & it did not lock in.

I also noticed that there is hardly any grease in each hub. I'm thinking( and hoping) that they just need to be greased. How much grease is supposed to be in the hubs? What type of grease do I use. I called my buddy who is a mechanic & he said to use a lithium white grease. He's a pretty good mechanic so I assume he knows what he is talking about. I'm going to buy some & see what happens.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:49 AM

Here's what I would try:

Jack front end of truck up. Place transmission in neutral. Spin each tire and with hub unlocked the u-joint on the inside of the wheel should not spin. Lock in each hub and the u-joint should spin. If it doesn't spin the problem is the hub. Also when each u-joint is spinning so should the front driveshaft. From what you say you've tried it sounds like the problem is the hubs.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:03 PM

Well I got some grease & greased up the up the hub on the passenger side & that side now seems to be locking & unlocking as it should.

I greased up the drivers side & put it back together & it does not lock. If I take the cover off & push the big gear in with a screwdriver while I am turning the tire it will lock in place but it is pretty hard to push it in. But once it goes in over the shaft spline it does lock in. If I wiggle the tire back & forth a bit the gear pops back out & hub is unlocked. When I put the cover back on & tighen it down it will not lock in. I just hear a clicking noise which I now know is that big gear skipping around the ends of the splines on the shaft. I have taken the entire hub out & checked the big gear for any burrs or damage & done the same for the spline on the shaft. They look fine to me. The locking ring for the hub assembly looks ok & appears to be in the right place. The spring on the back of the hub cover looks ok as well. For some reason when I turn the switch to lock that gear is not meshing with the shaft & slidding over it.

Anybody have any suggestions. I might have to get my mechanic buddy to come look at it. I don't like to use uo a favor unless I have to though.

One good thing is I have learned a ton about 4x4 system & hubs.

Last edited by simone0414; 10-16-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:22 AM

Well I have my 4x4 back.

Found 2 problems. First problem was there was no grease in the hubs. The passenger side was stuck in the locked position. Got some lithium white grease & applied a generous amount & passenger side is working now.

Second problem was on the drivers side. After alot of inspection, scratching my head, pacing the floor in my shop I realized that there was a locking ring that had come out of place in the hub assembly. It is on the back of the hub & keeps the outer part of the assembly in place with the inner part. I cleaned up the grove for it & put it back in place. Applied a generous amount of grease & the drivers side works fine now as well.

Took her for a test run & she is doing her thing now. Hopefully that ring will not come out again.

Thanks for everyones help.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:52 PM

Well the locking ring did come out. I tried switching the hubs by taking the drivers side & putting in the passenegers side & visa versa. For some reason they work & both lock in. Anyway upon further inspection I need upper & lower ball joints on the drivers side. Got the ball joints & found a good how to to change them. Think I am ok there. Just need to find the time to do it.

I also noticed on the drivers side that even with the hub unlocked the axle still turns. I jammed a bar in the u-joint to make sure the hub is unlocking & it is but with the driveshaft jammed so it won't turn the front tire turns very hard & makes a squeaking noise. What could this be? Wheel bearing? Needle bearing? Something is definetly going on. She drives fine but the axel is turning the whole time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.