2002 F350 Front axle bearings - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 08:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2002 F350 Front axle bearings

HI All,
My nephew has an all stock 2002 F350 Dually that is a constant maintenance nightmare. One thing after the other since 40,000 miles. The latest thing is that while replacing the brakes and shocks up front for inspection, he noticed the axle seals were out and riding freely on the axle shafts behind the U-joints on both sides. He said both axle shafts easily moved up and down when he lifted them. The question is, what is involved in removing the axles to replace the bearings? Removing the hubs and hub bearings are no question and now is the time to replace those bearings but once the hubs are out of the way how do the axles come out? Do we need to remove C-clips in the diff or do the axles just pull out and are held in by the hubs?

I have no problem doing the work and had a trans shop in the 80ís with plenty of diff experience in the back and transfer cases but never had to mess with any front diffs. I havenít looked to see what it is. Dana 60 or 70? Iím pretty sure the rear diff is a 70 from following the truck before. Yíall will know better than me. I just donít want to step into a nightmare. Forewarned is forearmed.

BTWÖ.the dealer wants $1500 just to do the hub bearings and he doesnít have it. Thatís how I got dragged into this mess. Any help and pointers will be appreciated.

Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2010, 09:16 PM

the axles just pull out. after you have pulled the brakes and hubs.

you might want to invest in the tool (about $75, i think otc sells them now) or try to borrow one for installing the outer hub seals. these seals press on the axle and then you use the tool to press (hammer) the seal into the outer hub. the seals are about $30 each at the dealer and are easily messed up without the installer. the seal is basically a scotch seal, like the rear wheel seals on full floaters. if you booger this seal up the auto hubs will not work properly.

hope this helps
Old 11-01-2010, 06:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
HOLD ON THERE!!!!!

Do NOT just assume the hub bearings are bad because the U-Joints move up & down.

They ALL move up & down You'd be pretty sorry if you went through the time and expense of replacing the hubs and still had the play. There is no support for the axles at the end of the tube, just a dust seal. They move a surprising amount when new.

Maybe you do / maybe you don't, get an unbiased professional, who knows these trucks, opinion first.

Those seals also are commonly riding on the U-Joint and really Not an indication you need to replace them right now.

The Knuckle (hub) seal is expensive and you do need a tool (you can easily make one) to install. So, my theory is, if you're going to pull the axle, do it ALL and button-up everything behind that seal (U-Joint, dust seal, Knuckle Seal) so you don't have to go back in again.

But don't do it if you don't have to!
Old 11-02-2010, 06:22 AM

so how crucial is the seal, mine is all the way out and it spins with the shaft. im gonna take a look at the oil today to make sure its not dusty or watery.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you rely on vacuum to engage the ft hubs it's more critical than if you use manual. If the hubs engage and hold now I'd worry about it later.

The hub bearings themselves are sealed so it's not like the knuckle seal is what's preventing hose ball bearings from being contaminated.....

The dust seal on the axle tube is really just that, keeps sand out of the tube. BUT has nothing to do with the oil. The oil seal is in at the other end where the axle enters the center section. The tube can have all sorts of crud in it (most do) without trouble.

Last edited by NoRalPh; 11-02-2010 at 07:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.