Rear wheel death wobble?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 10:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rear wheel death wobble??

Didn't think I would ever have such a thing, but I do! Under 55 is no problem, over 55, and I hit a bump, instant whole truck vibration. No steering wheel input, and its definitely coming from the rear. Hit another bump, and its fixed.

After pulling a stupid load, occasionally there was a clunk, or shift from a dead stop. Just like a transmission mount, or even motor mount going out. They all checked out, and I have been driving it unloaded for about 2 months now since. I have not experienced that shift without pulling a load since.

Today going home, I hit a pothole on the highway, and it sounded like I was crossing the hash marks to wake up drivers, and the whole truck shook. I pulled over, didnt see anything, and carried on. Hit another bump in the road, and it came right back.

I'm thinking centering pin, but I dont see any obvious signs of the axle moving. Thoughts?

This is what may have started all this crap...the wedge weighs in at 9k, and the middle jeep is a fat pig with a full cage, and 60's. I was not happy to pull it, but we were in a bind, and only had 50 miles to travel.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 03:29 PM

I would do a thorough check of your rear springs, shackles, and u-bolts for anything loose or broken.

Then check your driveline u-joints and carrier bearing for excessive play.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregsSD View Post
I would do a thorough check of your rear springs, shackles, and u-bolts for anything loose or broken.

Then check your driveline u-joints and carrier bearing for excessive play.
That's exactly what I did. I found no smoking gun with it on the stands. I didnt check the carrier bearing, or the u-joints though. I didnt think they could cause a bump induced vibration. After I was checking it over, I noticed the truck leaked about a cup or so of oil in 30 minutes from the bellhousing. The intake also has a pool of oil in it. I decided to park it and borrow my buddies truck.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:07 PM

I had what seems the exact same issue! Sounded like hitting rumble strips on the side of the highway. I thought it was my transfer case. Well it wasnt. It was the front needle bearings inside my hub assembly that ride on the axle shaft. Greased them up and the sound never came back again.
May be a ton of work breaking the front down to inspect but very easy to repair and I didnt replace the entire assembly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.