Thud when braking, then less stopping power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thud when braking, then less stopping power

So, I've searched back thru alot of braking threads and haven't found a similiar issue as I've got now.

Truck is a E99 F350 Crew cab, long bed 4x4 with a 6 speed and 210000 miles. Truck is completely stock.

When I'm slowing down to a stop. I feel a thud in the driveline somewhere around 15mph and then it seems as if the brakes don't have the stopping power they did before the thud. The truck will still continue to slow and stop but not nearly as well as it was. If I let off the brake pedal after the thud and then reapply the brakes, it seems like brakes are normal again and has plenty of stopping power again. Its like something gets in a bind or you got bumped from behind and the brakes get weak. When I let off and then start braking again, I dont feel anything strange and no more thuds it just stops as it should. I dont drive the truck very often and all I have looked at is the calipers and all mounting bolts are all there. Thats about the extent of what I have looked at so far. I'm going to try to get it in the garage this weekend to get a better look.

Anybody had this problem before or have any ideas? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Bump
Old 09-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

have you taken apart your brakes yet? you might have something stuck in there, or there may not even be any friction material left on your brake shoes, it could be the piston itself from the caliper hitting the rotor
Old 09-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Never got around to the brakes this weekend. Decided to do injector o-rings and replace 1 bad injector. Spent most of the day Sat swapping o-rings. Started the truck up Saturday evening when I got done to find out I either unseated an injector cup or had 1 crack on reinstall of the injectors. Coolant overflow bottle starts gushing after about 30 seconds of running and the fuel bowl is draining. Kinda got fed up with working on it after that.

Have to wait for the tools and cups to get here and replace all the cups so I can move the truck to the garage and flat ground to start digging into the brakes.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Still having the same problem.

Since last posting on this, I have replaced all 4 ball joints, both hub/needle bearings, axle u joints and front and rear driveshft u joints and greased the rear slip joint. The drivers side hub bearing was trashed and since the early 99 hubs are so much more $$$ than the 99.5 stuff, I just did both sides with the 99.5+ stuff including rotors and pads.

No change in braking. Same thud or bump when slowing down and loss of stopping power. Let off the pedal and reapply brakes and all is well and the truck stops normal.

Dont know if this is related but I'm also hearing a popping / binding type noise at low speeds and feeling a vibration @ 30-50 mph. I would instantly think u joint had I not just replaced every u joint on the truck. While removing the rear drive shaft, all 4 bolts on the rear most cap straps were loose and I really thought this was the source of the noise but apparently I was wrong.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-10-2011, 08:13 PM

did you put anti-sieze on all you slide pins when doing the brakes, i would also look at the sway bar bushings, and possible checking your leaf springs/shackles, maybe essive axle wrap
Old 01-10-2011, 08:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I did lube the slides on the calipers. I do also know that the bushings are worn and I will be ordering them soon.

I guess the loose bushing could be causing some axle wrap but never would have thought it would cause the symptoms I'm having. I'll have to get them ordered and installed and see if it remedies the braking issues.

Once it warms a little I guess I will jack the rear and put it on stands to watch the rear driveline in action to try and isolate the vibration.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I replaced all the sway bar bushings and it made a WORLD of difference in the steering and tracking of the truck. The frame side bushing on the drivers side was practically gone and the rest were WAY overdue to be replaced. Best $50 I've spent on the truck. Really tightened up the front end.

I also located the clicking/binding noise. I replaced the hanger bearing and while removing the drive shaft, I noticed the the rear most u-joint at the rear yolk will slide back and forth. The straps are tight but the u-joint has some room to slide in caps. With the caps against the tabs on the yolk, they are not tight to the u-joint allowing the drive shaft to "fall" into the caps as it rotates at low speeds. I just had to loosen the straps and push the caps in a little. This fixed the noise, and the hanger bearing fixed the vibration.

Still have the problem when braking. Its almost like there is a pressure drop. I'm starting to suspect the hydro boost. Yesterday while at a stop on a hill, I felt a bump in the brake pedal and the truck rolled an tiny bit. Does anybody have any insight on how to test or check it, or any parts known to fail and cause these symptoms? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:28 PM

awesome news !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.