Lots of threads of this problem,No mention of the cause.Front end issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 03:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lots of threads of this problem,No mention of the cause.Front end issues

2001 4x4 Dually
Hi Guys,
Ive had trouble with my steering for some time now & living in the UK I rely on this forum for advice as knowbody over here knows much about these trucks.
Ive had trouble with the 4x4 set up too. I thought the steering issue may have been linked to the problem with the 4x4, but I'm not sure.

I've had lots of bad luck recently with my truck. The trans died so that cost me 3600 for a rebuild. Then the stearing started getting very weird. I had a tight spot when I turned a corner & the play I always had was worse. It also made a clunk now & then & the truck would sudenly shift slightly to the opposite direction I was turning.
I tightened the play in the steering box with the nut on the top & had my wheel alinment checked. I also fitted a new joint. The one that bolts to the pitman arm. The truck drove a lot better for a while but then started something new which was real bad...

It started wondering around on the road, left to right. It was just like the front wheels were falling off.
It was impossible to drive in a straight line. I just about got home. I checked all the joints for play & I could'nt see a problem anywhere so I put it down to the steering box. I bought a new one from Bob Utter in Texas.
I fitted the new steering box & the truck drove awesome. I drove a few hundred miles then noticed my drivers side front wheel bearing had a lot of play. I ordered 2 front wheel bearings & 2 free wheeling hubs 1200 inc import tax etc. I fitted the free wheeling hubs & the drivers side bearing. I didnt have time to do both as I had to deliver a boat to France.
I drove to France covering a couple of thousand kilometeres or so. All was good until I noticed a slight tight spot again!!! Then just 12 kilometers from the ferry to the UK the truck was all over the road! I let my hands of the wheel slightly & watched the steering wheel turn left to right very quickly on its own. I stopped in a garage. I put fuel in the truck while all the mechanics of the front end went through my mind. I felt sick as I've really had enough of this now. I got back in the truck & made my way to the ferry. It drove fine. I got off the ferry in the UK & drove the 2 hours home with no problems at all.
I've looked at everything today as my girlfriend shook the steering. I can't see anything wrong anywhere. No play in any joints!!
Im wondering if it could be related to the problems I have with the 4x4. If I select 4x4 & drive the tuck it just bangs like mad. I fitted new ball joints a few months ago & one of grease nipples is now missing. It looks like the drive shaft/universal joint has smashed it off. I notice the front shafts move around a lot. Im sure they shouldn't.

I bought new free wheeling hubs because the drivers side would not release 4x4 most of the time. Its just the same even with the new hubs. To release 4x4 I have to get under the truck & move the shaft by hand to make it release.
THis has all cost me so much money in parts & even more in lost work. I'm completly lost as to what the problem is. I have to go to switzerland next week so I really need to sort this or I just as well give up & get down on my knees naked on my driveway barking at passers by like a wild dog while rubbing poo in my hair..

Iv'e just been under the truck again. I've greased all the grease nipples & grabed everything I can think of. Nothing looks wrong. The only thing I havent done which I'm going to do when it stops raining is spray the stearing coupling/uj if there is one.

Ive read lots of threads that sujest this is a common problem, but knowbody really seems to of overcome this. I see some of you call it "Death Wobble" but whats the solution??

Please help me I'm going nuts here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2010, 09:39 AM

Don't know what to tell you. Maybe try a few things to elimate . Dis-connect the front drive shaft from the front differencial, take off the front tires and check your brakes for possible problems, break it down further and make sure your ball joints or ok even though you changed them. check out all of your bushings, Could be as you siad 4X4 problem. I have a simaliar noise problem for months and i was under there everyday. just looking . But finally i had enough and inspected every joint ther was Ended up being my my Front leaf spring bushing the one towards the rear . Make sure your tires or balanced correctly . Bring it to a trust worthy shop maybe
Old 08-25-2010, 12:12 PM

There isn't really anywhere over here that knows much about these trucks. I do it all myself. My brakes are new. All four rotors, calipers & obviously pads. It makes sence thinking leaf spring bushes I guess. I've had a look at those but didnt see any signs of movement. If they did move on cornering that would explain the clunk & the truck shifting a little, but I just don't think that would explain the tight spot on the steering would it? I keep running it through my mind. I did think of taking the front drive shafts out of the axle to see if its the uj's locking up somehow. Its a lot of work though. I looked at buying new uj's but I can't find any. It looks like you can only buy the complete shafts & they are very expensive. I'm going to London in the morning with no trailer so I'll see what it's like.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:19 PM

When i sat drave shaft i meant the one that comes from the transfer case to the differencial. Do you have a steerinf stabilizer on it.? it could be hitting something. mine definetly made a noise (leaf spring bushing) everytime i hit a bump. Just start elimiating things that it can't be. Belive me i know its frustrating
Old 08-26-2010, 11:06 AM

I don't have a steering damper on mine. I set off from home this morning & as soon as I got on a straight bit of road the truck was not right straight away.
I really took notice this time. It felt like the steering was pulsing left. I had to keep compansating & turn it right.
The truck was weaving really bad * there was a tight spot in the steering. Then I stoped in trafic thinking I was going to have to turn back & go home. I turned the steering left while I was stopped & "clunk" I felt the front end move a little. As soon as I drove off it was fine!
I then drove around 100 kilometers with no issues at all.
I was wondering if it might be the power steering pump, but the clunk makes me think otherwise.
If it was the leaf springs moving so the axle came out of line slightly would that make the steering pulse left?????? Im not sure... & the tight spot???
Im going to have another look under it tommorow...
Old 08-26-2010, 11:08 AM

Disconect the front propshaft you mean? I drive in 2wd though so the front prop or shafts wont be going round.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Have you checked your panhard (tracbar) the one that holds the axle from having lateral movement. The bushing might be worn out?
Old 09-06-2010, 05:17 AM

I just completed my mission to Switzerland & then up to Hamburg in Germany. I got a real bad shake only once in Switzerland. I stopped & worked the steering from side to side full lock. It clunked then it drove fine again for the rest of the trip. Ive just ordered new front uj's as I think that has to be the problem.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Premium Member

Check and see if your steering wheel is on the wrong side.
Balljoints, track bar, spring bushings, tierod ends and as you mentioned, check ujoints, although they are not likely to cause steering problems, just get noisey.
GL
Old 09-26-2010, 02:19 AM

Yea lots of you guys say about the stearing wheel. My truck is left hand drive.
I have stripped the front end out. I have bought new uj's & the seals for the shafts.
The drivers side uj moves one way easily but the other way is very stiff. The passenger side is a different story. It moves one way easily, but the other way is totaly seized.
Has anybody fitted new uj's & the seals. I have pictuers of all this but Im on my girlfiends laptop as mine died so I cant show you all what Im taling about which is anoying.
There is a seal on the end of the shaft. once you have removed the wheel bearing/hub you see a c clip & a washer & a plastic spacer. Then you have to pull out a metal ring from the seal in order to pull the shaft from the axle. When you have the shaft out how the hell do you get that seal off? The other end looks easy enough but the end with the uj looks impossible so far. Anybody know if there are any pics on here anywhere?
Please help if you can guys....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.