Center Support Bearing and U-Joints, which ones??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Center Support Bearing and U-Joints, which ones???

I'm surprised that nobody has asked this b/c I searched.

I don't think my Center Support Bearing is gone, but I have a vibration at a VERY specific speed unless I'm accelerating through it (76-78mph). The tires were rotated and road force balanced two weeks ago and all the wheel bearings are in good shape.

The rubber support is soft as in I can move it 1/2" in almost any direction and it looks like the shaft has contacted the metal bracket (not bad).

I went online shopping for bearings and u-joints last night and went to Carquest today. They sell Spicer bearings and joints. Problem is, there are too many options for both joints and bearings. I REALLY don't want to have to take the whole thing out of the truck only to haul it 25 miles to town to match parts on the bench.

There are two different bearings, only differing by 5mm id. I've yet to see a reference that tells me which one I need.

Same with the U-joints. I figured while I had the drive line out that i'd swap all three joints. There are like five different ones depending on wheel base, drive, etc. Even the Carquest guy wasn't sure.

Anyone?

ETA - sorry, thought my truck was in my sig, guess not...

'01 F350 SRW, CC 4WD, SB, Lariate
DP, ATS Exhaust, HPX, Tymar, etc....

Last edited by wlrottge; 08-24-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2010, 10:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I got mind support/hanger bearing from ford. Got my u-joint from advanced auto They only asked me
1; 4X4
2. long bed or short (size in inches)
3 rear front or middle i belive
my suggestion is GO TO THE DEALER. hanger bearing is $75
Old 08-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info.

I just found a Spicer document that lists sizes and part numbers.

http://www2.dana.com/pdf/K350-1-DSSP.pdf

Advance lists two bearings, one that is 35mm and one that is 40mm. I figured it was the larger of the two but was not sure.

They also list one u-joint that will work in all three positions as opposed to the stores listing several for each spot.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

HOW MUCH WAS THE bearing from advanced auto
Old 08-25-2010, 02:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The only 1410 bearing that Advance has is a National. It's 25.98.

Napa has the Spicer for $50, think I'll go that route
Old 08-25-2010, 02:52 PM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
As far as your carrier bearing goes, that much play is normal. That's the way mine is too

I ran into the same issue when I did my u-joint in the middle of the rear axle. Everywhere I looked they had a ton of different u-joints for my truck. I went to AutoZone. Far and away my favorite place for parts. Everything is simple there. They asked me the same thing, basically truck model and wheel base That was it. Fit perfect and no problems I've always had great luck with Auto Zone. great parts, great tools, cheap and reliable. They always have what I need....

NO I don't work for them
Old 08-25-2010, 08:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Not trying to argue with you, but.... I will for just a sec.

I can see that the shaft has rubbed on the bracket..... It's not worn, but it's obviously made contact recently b/c that's the only area w/o at least a thin layer of rust. No way that is a good thing.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Well I may have missed the part where you said it was rubbing, but I just re-checked my carrier bearing again and you can move it in all directions 1/4"-3/8".
So I stick by my original statement that play in a carrier bearing is normal
I bet yours had play before your viration

Is your truck lifted? Is your carrier bearing spaced at all?
When I lifted my truck, I think I spaced my cb too much. I'm convinced that is what killed my center u-joint
Old 08-28-2010, 09:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry for being slow on the reply. Was sick with a summer cold (SUCKED) and felt so bad that even reading a forum wasn't on my list of stuff I wanted to do.

I dropped the drive line today. Everything was easy except for the nut on the yoke. I had hit everything with PB Blaster two days ago including that nut. Impact, LONG breaker bar, torch, NOTHING would break that nut loose..... so... I had to get in there with a dremmel and cutting wheels. I finally got the b-tard off after cutting the majority of two sides and wacking it with a punch and hammer... Now I have to try to find one of those yoke nuts on Sunday at the big box auto stores..... I'm thinking tractor supply will be a good place to try as well. Any tips?

The u-joints felt generally ok. A tiny tiny tiny hair of play in one but nothing else. I replaced them and will press the new bearing on tomorrow.... once I fine that yoke nut. The bearing didn't feel happy. I won't say there was play in it, but it wasn't smooth, that's for sure. It was probably ready to go at any time.

Oh, the wife will kill me if she has to walk 25 miles to work on Monday..... ;-)

ETA, sorry, the truck is not lifted beyond the stock 4" rear axle spacer that comes under the F350 SRW.

Last edited by wlrottge; 08-28-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

One more thing.... I saw on Spicer's specs pdf that "u joint retaining bolts should not be reused".

????

Hope that the parts store has those as well....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.