Need a little ball joint help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 04:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need a little ball joint help

I'm in the middle of replacing ball joints on my truck. Been a real PITA so far-lots of rusty bolts and all. So now I'm trying to get the top one loose, and so far I can't get it to budge. I've pretty much ruined my pickle fork on it, and so far I've nearly removed the ball from the socket rather than releasing the taper of the ball joint. Any good ideas out there? I've put heat on it, lots of PB Blaster, lots of cussing at it. Next option appears to be cutting it off and drill through then do a relief cut, but I'm open to opinions.

Also, I've pretty well flattened the bottom of the sleeve where the ball joint fits. Is that a problem?

Thanks
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Johnny Law Brown

Do you have the ball joint nuts off if so just get a bfh and some heat a couple of cold bud lights and keep working at these damn things can be real temperamental at times and just remember if it was easy everybody would do it
Old 11-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey you probably have figured this out but I know when I replaced mine I was pressing and banging on mine, one of my buddies noticed a C-Clip holding one of them in.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

whats a fair pricde sor a shop to do ball joints? Got one saying $700+ and another saying it only a 3 hr job . is there a particular brand of ball joint to get. This is my first truck and ive only had it since june.
Sorry for the hyjack of thread
Old 11-16-2010, 02:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashflo View Post
whats a fair pricde sor a shop to do ball joints? Got one saying $700+ and another saying it only a 3 hr job . is there a particular brand of ball joint to get. This is my first truck and ive only had it since june.
Sorry for the hyjack of thread

If you are mechanically inclined in any way, go to NAPA, AUTO ZONE or whatever auto store you have around, buy the ball joints and replace them yourself. In the end you will save yourself about $500.00 greenbacks. It took me and a friend about four three hours to complete the replacement of both upper/lower on both sides.
As for brand of ball-joint, if you pay a cheap price for a ball-joint then expect a cheap quality ball-joint.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:29 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Air chisel , works like a charm .
Old 11-16-2010, 02:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Night View Post
Air chisel , works like a charm .
Never broke out the air chisel to remove the joints or break them loose from the control arms
Old 11-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

are there any special tool required. anyone got a link to a write up an process? Ive done altenators, ps pumps,ac condensors but nothing in the suspension and always on a mid size car. Am i going to need "big air" i have a husky 650lb impact but ive had caliper bracket bolt that wouldn,t budge with that.

My dad would help me he was a heavy diesel mechanic ( Cat, Kenworth, tansit busses) but has sold almost all his tools for multiple reasons.

My thing is time is not on my side. I only get to see my family on weekends and taking a day or two out of that isn't a good idea for my marriage.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I did it on my srw 99 plow truck . They wouldn't break loose , exact same story as this guy . Put the nut back on a few threads , put a flat round bit in the air chisel and put it inside of the nut . If I remember correctly I put a 4x4 under the control arm . Couple of blasts and it was right out .
Old 11-16-2010, 03:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The only thing special you will require is the ball-joint press, which you can rent from an auto store (receive credit back upon return) to press the ball-joints out of the wheel bearing housing. Other then that, it's SAE wrenches, 8 or 10mm to remove the ABS sensor bolt, a brass punch to remove the bearing seal from the housing and some good ole muscle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.