01 F250 7.3 4x4 front hub problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
01 F250 7.3 4x4 front hub problem

OK, I buy a set of Warn hubs to install. No problem on the passenger side, but the hub would not go on the driver side. Upon closer inspection, I notice that the center shaft (I don't know the correct terminology) is off center. I think I have more issues to deal with, including a possible needle bearing issue. What should I do? I am not very knowledgeable about this stuff, but would like to learn. Should I replace the wheel hub assembly? What else should I look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Another question: Does the wheel hub assembly take care of the needle bearing issue?
Old 07-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

can you shake the tire when it was all mounted up? if it had play in it id say change the assembly..
Old 07-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No, seems tight. What bothers me most is that I cannot get the new hubs on.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:31 PM

I'll be interested to see what you find out with this - I think I'm looking at the same issue.

If you crank hard right, and reach in to the axle u-joint, is there slop in the assembly? Can you move it side to side like it's got a roached bearing or seal?
Old 07-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Needle bearing was the issue.

Removed the hub and discovered the needle bearing that fits inside the backside of the hub was toast. I mean there was nothing left. This put the axle in a bind off center, which is why the locking hub wouldn't slip on. Had to take the wheel hub hearing assembly to a shop to have them grind the remainder of the needle bearing shell out of the hub. They put the new needle bearing in and bingo! I was good to go. Locking hub went on after I put it all back together. The axle is fairly scarred, so I will probably have to replace that when I get the bucks.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:38 PM

you found the same thing I just did. Hub is decent and tight, I pulled the autolock with difficulty (gonna have to rebuild that too), and got the hub out. My needle bearing wasn't as bad as yours, I probably had 80% of the bearings left. Most of them sideways, lol.

But the stub shaft is toast, heavily grooved, so now I'm calling around to see who's got one locally. Even though that needle bearing is easy to get to, it wouldn't last long with the axle in this condition. can't really afford it either, got no choice.

and all this is after the dealership said 'nothing wrong with it, that amount of play is normal. idiots. might have been able to save the shaft, but noooooooooooooooo...so now I wind up paying out more that I can't afford. at least it's cheaper than that damned dealership, last time I go there. they also lie about chassis lube, but i'll take my truck one more time there and call them out on it in their waiting room so the other customers can have a laugh too.

update: just got off the phone with my parts guy, found a spicer stub shaft for $130, not too bad. UJ is another 35.

Last edited by Czechsix; 07-29-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.