Front Bearings - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 07:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front Bearings

I took my truck in to get aligned and they advised me that they could not align it because the ball bearings had too much play and would need to be redone. This with the alignment would be $1060.00.

So my question is can you direct me to some how too information, or is the price fair for parts and labor (Even though it may be I will most likely do it myself). So a how too, what parts, and tools are needed.

Thanks

2001 F-350 4x4 7.3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010, 08:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
As far as OEM replacement parts, I would only go with a factory ford part or a higher end replacement part from the parts store. Dont go with a cheap chinese or ebay replacement or you will land yourself right back in the same boat in short order. This is definitely a fairly simple job to do, just takes a bit of time.

If you decide you want to upgrade away from the unitized hub that our trucks come with from the factory, we make a wheel bearing conversion kit ("free-spin" kit). Ours are the least expensive around but still spendy at $1650. If you want more info, just let me know or go to Wheel Bearing Conversion Kit - Precision Metal Fab
Old 07-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I've had eBay, Chinese, hubs in my truck for almost 2 years now. They came with a Lifetime Guarantee, were advertised as having Timken bearings in them, and cost $120 per side.

About a year ago, I got an ABS light that pointed to a bad sensor in that hub. They replaced it for free (in fact , they sent me the Whole Hub).

Don't get hosed, Chinese steel comes from our old crushed cars anyway
Old 07-22-2010, 08:59 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
I've had eBay, Chinese, hubs in my truck for almost 2 years now. They came with a Lifetime Guarantee, were advertised as having Timken bearings in them, and cost $120 per side.

About a year ago, I got an ABS light that pointed to a bad sensor in that hub. They replaced it for free (in fact , they sent me the Whole Hub).

Don't get hosed, Chinese steel comes from our old crushed cars anyway
That's what I like to hear...ordered a set off ebay, they were damaged during shipping...called and sent me new ones within 2 days before I even sent the other ones back, which they paid for shipping on the way back too!

Think about it this way...spend $240 for two hubs and sensors and you are still coming out cheaper than 1 hub from ford...

I have some good write-ups bookmarked at home for write ups, its simple once you do the first one...I can send them to you when I get home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.