Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

front end popping/shaking

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Joel 
#1 ·
Lately Ive been hearing a loud clicking/popping sound coming from around the right front tire. You can hear it clearly and feel it in the truck, and it seems to speed up the faster you go. Just yesterday I was driving and once you get up to speed you don't notice it that much but as soon as I hit the first decent bump the entire front end went into a violent shake that you can tell is coming from the right front. The shake doesnt stop until you come to a complete stop. And then it will click while taking off and it doesnt start doing the violent shaking until I hit anotherbump. Any ideas about what this could be?
Thanks

#3 ·
no lift its all stock. WHich one is the stabilzer bar? I've taken off the front wheel and you cant tell that anything is wrong, there is no play in any of the bars underneath or near the front axle except the one closest to the front of the truck? It has a little play back and forth and makes somewhat of a popping noise but I don't see how this would cause the problem?

#5 ·
Couple things to check. Sway bar bushings. Ball Joints and wheel bearings. Track bar as well

#8 ·
The only bar with any slop or play in it is thatone that is farthest towards the front. I bought the truck used, but everything under the front has been replaced with moog parts that are all greaseable including the ball joints. Does that help narrow it down any?
Thanks for the help

#9 ·
I just went to check the u joint and it seems fine but the u joint does rub on the bottom of the ball joint, its not horrible damage but you can tell that it does rub and that was with the right front end jacked up so maybe this is the problem, but what would cause the u joint to rub on the bottom of the ball joint?

#13 ·
I had what sounds like the same exact issue and it was the little needle bearings thats the axle rides on. takes about an hour or so to do it yourself, part cost basically nothing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.