can i remove spindles? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2010, 01:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
can i remove spindles?

Alright so im afraid that if i keep driving the truck the way it is im going to cause more problems. From what i can see i need to go throught the whole front axle and replace all the seals but lack of money right now is stopping me from doing that. I have a vibration on both sides of the axle and i know for a fact that it is the big seal behind the wheel bearings that is pressed onto the spindles. I know i have to also replace the spindles because they are worn where the needle bearing rides on them. I really dont see why i wouldnt be able to but can i just remove the spindles from the axle shafts until i can afford to get all the parts? I already dont have a front drive line in due to the fact that i broke it a couple months ago because i never got it legnthened after i lifted it. This is my only vehicle and i need it to get to and from work. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by Relytt58; 06-19-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2010, 01:24 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
I would save the cash and get a free wheel hub conversion. I know a place you can get em for 1550 shipped. He isnt a vendor on here but PM me and ill give you his number.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:26 PM

I would but pretty much everything is going out at once on my truck and lack of money right now is holding me back. I also have 2 injectors and a turbo i need to by if i get enough hours this week. Student loans are killing me right now
Old 06-20-2010, 03:52 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I dont see why you cant pull (removing wheel bearing first)the spindle out.
If you remove the whole axle, all fluid will come out of the front diff.
Would be a good idea to figure out a way to hold the inside part of the axel in the diff.
Remove both sides if you do. The spindle does not hold the hub on. Water from rain would get in. If you have worn the needle bearings then I assume the hubs are old, so its not a big waste if water eventually ruins them.
I will be curious to hear others chiming in. If you are going to replace stuff anyway, what harm would come?
Old 06-20-2010, 09:07 PM

Well i have pulled the wheel bearings off before and when i had the spindle seal out the axle shaft didnt just slide out so i am assuming that there are clips inside the diff that hold the axle shafts in the axle its self. Im not worries about the needle bearings getting crud in them since when i do have the money to fix it all i plan on just replacing all the seals, bearings and both spindles. I didnt see why i couldnt just remove the spindles but i figured i would atleast see what other people had to say about it.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:36 AM

no clips in the diff. The 2 seals hold it in. They will seperate and tear apart when you remove the axel. It just comes out.
If you do this make sure the drive shaft is removed too. I think you stated thats allready gone.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:39 PM

after you take out the axle shafts, your going to want to seal the empty axle tube, so **** dont get in there and **** up your ring and pinon, i'm going through this right now, its expensive,
Old 06-25-2010, 12:53 PM

How would you guys go about sealing up the axle so nothing gets in there?
Old 06-25-2010, 12:57 PM

I would, somehow, remove the spindle and u joint then put the axle back in. Somehow use large zip ties to hold it. It wont be rotating or have any reason to pull out. This way it can stay full of fluid too. NO driveshaft at all though!
Old 06-25-2010, 05:18 PM

Thats what i was planning on doing i was just wondering if anyone had a better way. The driveshaft is in my garage right now and will be until i can find parts for it and i get it legnthened and the parts to get my truck back together the way it should be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.