bad hub? help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2010, 05:00 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
bad hub? help

Okay, so i my f250 just started making a grinding sound which i could feel in the floorboard when i make harder right hand turns. I also had a very small amount of brake drag. So I jacked the truck up and did the wheel shimmy test on both sides to check for play. Sure enough the drivers had some play in it. I also checked the shafts at the ujoint for play and the drivers had a small amount, nothing great but more so than the passengers. I talked to a couple people and everyone says hubs. So today i took it all apart and here is what i have found and am not sure what to do because i dont know anything about hubs. Axel seal and dust seal were both shot as far as all the rubber parts go. Needle bearing on the inside of the hub seems fine with no wear (not a bearing expert though) and no wear on the stub shaft. Now if the needle bearing is still good can my hub still be bad? Auto 4x4 still worked just fine and the noise went away if i manually locked my hubs.

Suggestions? I really dont wanna start buying stuff if it doesnt need to be replaced.
Thanks

Last edited by Maxont; 06-05-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2010, 05:27 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
so i think i might have found my answer. i noticed that the outer hub (the locking part) the bearing seem to up a little bit when i would turn it. i would lock/unlock multiple times and each time it would be okay then it would want to bind again. so i checked the other side and it wasnt like this at all. completly smooth. Think this could be my problem? Are these auto locking hubs repairable or do i need to buy an entire new one?

This may be my noise problem but i think i would still have play in my tire with the 6/12 test or putting a pry bar under it. or maybe that play could be caused by a bad ball joints?

Last edited by Maxont; 06-05-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.