Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

factory auto hub locks to warns?

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  cghoerichs 
#1 ·
I have been checking the forum for a while now and still have not found a thread on what is involved in swaping to a manual warn hub. I have a 2003 excursion that has auto locking hubs. I took the hub lock out and when I turn it, it is partially engaged (grinds) I took it apart and it is clean but the plastic switch to turn it to manual is stuck in auto. Can this be fixed and if not, what exactly do I have to do to go to warn manual hubs?

#2 ·
If it's as easy as putting them on my old J10 I had, should take you 30 minutes. I didn't even pull the tires. I would pull the vaccum tubes off at the fender and plug them and plug the nipple on the hub too. I believe it's very simple and if I ever have any problems with mine, that's the route I'm going.

#5 ·
Piece of cake. If it takes you a half an hour you have run into a problem. Should take about 10 minutes for the first side (because you can't believe there isn't more to it) and 5 min for the second. Don't pull your tire. First step is to use needle nose pliers to pull the snap ring out from around your hub. Then with 2 vise grips grab the outer ridge of the old hub on each side. Don't open the vise grip real wide and try to grab the whole face, just grab the the rim, one on each side so you can get leverage to wiggle. Then wiggle the hub out. You may be able to pull them out without the vise grips, but I couldn't. Then bend the snap ring that came with the Warn hub as shown on the additional instruction sheet. Next slide the inner hub into where you pulled the old hub out of and place the snap ring (you just bent) into place. Place the outer part of the hub into place and use a hex wrench to tighten the outer hub in place. I may have skipped a step but the instructions are in the box and are very easy. Oh yeah, you also need to cap your vacuum line. That's all it takes.

#6 ·
nope you didnt skip a step, just pay attention when doing the passanger side, i had to play with the axle shaft a little to get it to align right. it took me about 15 mins to do my hubs, i plugged the line at the nipple with the plastic screws you can get at advance then cut out the tube and plugged it at the pump with the same screws. be careful when tightening the hex screws they will strip easily, i only had one round out on me but it wasnt all the way in so i was able to get it back out and replace it.

#7 ·
Want to replace lockout hubs

I am planning on converting my 01 F250 7.3L to manual hubs also. When I look online for hubs, they vary in number of splines, and also say under certain circumstances, you need a spindle nut conversion kit. Any recommendations on which hubs to get?

#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.