Hubs not locking when set to Auto - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 05:27 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hubs not locking when set to Auto

Has anyone posted a "step by step" to trouble shooting/reparing the problem(s) when one's front hubs do not lock when set to Auto? Been looking around and see that it appears to be a common issue, but do not find any detailed write up. I also see a lot of folks that say the factory hubs and such are junk and repalce them with the WARN hubs but I would like to keep the option of auto engaging the hubs if possible.

Is there a recommended manual that I should purchase to do work like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010, 10:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Most likely you have a vacuum leak, check your vacuum lines that go down to each hub. If it's not that, it could be a bad hub seal
Old 05-26-2010, 12:44 AM

Ok - so I found a leak in the hose that leads to line that runs down to the hubs - 90 bucks to replace the piece that comes from the whatever it is to the lines that run to the vent control and to the hubs! Ended up running a new piece of tubing and hooking it up to the hub line.

I think I still have a problem - the vacuum pump seems to run for a long time but since it eventually does "stop" I am thinking that the system is "tight" - but am also thinking there still may be a leak - when I tested after the repair - I can now climb my drive way but seems like it is not holding the hubs engaged, when manually locked the truck climbed the hill no problem - when in auto seemed to have some problems - is that possible?

Is there a recommended source for a maintenance manual - while I am OK with a wrench in my hand I have not really worked on a diesel before and want to start doing some of my own work on this truck - would prefer on on CD/DVD.

Last edited by JMM_MD; 05-26-2010 at 12:45 AM. Reason: add more
Old 05-26-2010, 05:19 PM

Arrrrrrrgggggggg going from bad to worse!

Ok - things are going from bad to worse - today I lowered the electric windows and now they will not come up and on top of that now the 4 wheel drive will not engage at all. Have checked every fuse in both the pannel under the dash and the one in the engine compartment and they all check good - HELP!
Old 06-12-2010, 06:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm having this issue, too. Did you figure out your electrical problem? I just got this excursion, and it seems like the 4 wheel drive switch is the major culprit. Don't know how to fix it though.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by washburn72 View Post
I'm having this issue, too. Did you figure out your electrical problem? I just got this excursion, and it seems like the 4 wheel drive switch is the major culprit. Don't know how to fix it though.
Alas, my saga continues, I broke down and took it up to my local dealer - they replaced the GEM module and fuse box which got the windows going up and down but now it will not go into 4 wheel low.

The dealer is now saying that the 4 wheel drive motor needs to be replaced (another 600.00). I am having a hard time with that since it was working fine before all this started. Before all went bad all switch postions worked and the 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive low lights would come on, now the the only light that comes on is 4 wheel drive.

On yours - if you put it in 4 wheel drive do the light(s) come on? Do you hear a noise (the transfer case engaging)? If you manually lock the hubs does the 4 wheel drive work? If so you may have a vacuum related issue.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:43 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
heres what i do. since the switch still works and locks the transcase, i manually lock the hubs and they work like that.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod B View Post
heres what i do. since the switch still works and locks the transcase, i manually lock the hubs and they work like that.
Based on what I have learned so far, that sounds like a vacuum issue. Do you have AC - if so does it come out the defrost ports or the dash vents? If the AC works fine then the problem is probably with the lines that run from the pump down to the hubs or the seals at the wheels. If the AC does not work it is probably something with the vacuum pump.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:28 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
what ive seen recently that my ac blows out hot air for like 2 secs then through the vents. but it always worked. and the vac pump works as well. just no vac to the hubs. ive looked into it once and kinda determined that the solenoid is out. but just havent done it yet since i really dont mind the manual way of locking since im on the road 95%
Old 06-16-2010, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod B View Post
what ive seen recently that my ac blows out hot air for like 2 secs then through the vents. but it always worked. and the vac pump works as well. just no vac to the hubs. ive looked into it once and kinda determined that the solenoid is out. but just havent done it yet since i really dont mind the manual way of locking since im on the road 95%
Got ya - good luck with it - got to figure out how I am going to deal with the my 4 wheel drive low issue now - think my next call is to the Service Manager at the dealer. Went ahead and ordered the motor from OMHQ and figured I would put that in just to see if the motor got fried during whatever hapened when everything went south on me. If that does work will call it good and do my happy dance if not then for sure the dealer will get another visit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.