Front barke rotors 2wd - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front barke rotors 2wd

It has now gotten time to buy rotors again . I have a warped one .
I generally use rotors till they warp or get real grooved and never turn them cause I pull a hotshot most of the time and don't think I'd get much service out of a thinner (turned) rotor .
I am considering buy them at autozone this time has anyone used these before ? I have been buying from my old shop supplier but autozone has a 2 year warranty with theirs and they are one of the chains that has stores nationwide since I drive OTR . I could get replacements just about anywhere ? What do you readers think ?
mcgoo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I think you'd be surprised to find that if you took a sander and cleaned-up the rotor surfaces that you, in fact, do Not have a warped rotor....

Finned, two sided, rotors really can't warp and the pulsation you feel is about the pads gripping well on some of the rotor and not-so-well in another.

I've used a DA, sandblasted, or otherwise cleaned-up "warped" rotors and had them go back to working just fine with no "pulsation" at all

If they're not grooved, and you want to experiment with them, give it a try!
Old 05-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
I think you'd be surprised to find that if you took a sander and cleaned-up the rotor surfaces that you, in fact, do Not have a warped rotor....

Finned, two sided, rotors really can't warp and the pulsation you feel is about the pads gripping well on some of the rotor and not-so-well in another.

I've used a DA, sandblasted, or otherwise cleaned-up "warped" rotors and had them go back to working just fine with no "pulsation" at all

If they're not grooved, and you want to experiment with them, give it a try!
I used the sander method on rotors before to break the glaze and queiten squealling brakes when I had a shop. Rotors will warp I had a lathe at my shop and when you chuck them up and spin them you can see the warp in ones with warpage . I sold the lathe when I closed my shop 4 years ago . Lathes are a waste of money in most cases cause most rotors are worn to thin to turn in ones I did brake jobs on . If you use a dial indicator you can turn a rotor on vehicle and see the runout . I could handle the squell but hate the steering wheel shake going downhill with 30,000 on .
mcgoo
Old 05-09-2010, 02:45 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgoo422000 View Post
If you use a dial indicator you can turn a rotor on vehicle and see the runout .

I have never found this to be true...

I don't know how may 100's of brake jobs I've done, how many rotors I've cut. The reason the lathe doesn't hit "true" is the "Micky Mouse" way the rotor is held.

After a while, EVERY car I saw with a pulse I tried the dial indicator run-out test on. If they were 2-sided, finned rotors I would cut just the one with the largest run-out and you know what?

Most times the pulse remained. Sure, there was run-out but, it wasn't the cause of the pulse, it was the rotor surface (and, of course, cutting it also gave it a new surface so it DID solve the problem)

I'm telling ya, modern rotor warpage is a myth... I'm sure, at one time, those crummy foreign car single disks got hot and could warp. And that was the start of the whole "rotor warp" sales pitch

I agree, who would cut a rotor today, I just replace them BUT if you really want to know, check the run-out, find the worst one and replace just it and see if was the cause (Of Course, there IS a 25% chance that that rotor could also be the "Bad Surface" one too)

MythBusters should do a test on rotors! Let's ask 'em
Old 05-10-2010, 11:56 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You must be pulling Heavy..I'd get a BD brake and Powerslot Cyro rotors with HP pads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.