Did engine transplant and now auto slips and doesnt change back! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 12:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Did engine transplant and now auto slips and doesnt change back!

Hey guys this is my first time on here as I have a problem with my 2004 F250 PSD.

I live in Australia and long story short, the guys that work for me dusted the engine while working out bush, it sucked all sorts of crap through it and now has no compression and turbo is screwed.

I got a second hand complete engine with very low kms that is like new and did the transplant, all bolted up and started straight away.

I did not drop the auto when doing the transplant or removed the TC so in theory the Auto should be fine. But after hooking it all back up I took it for a drive and it doesnt take off like it use to and seems like the auto is always slipping. Also it doesnt drop back when it should and holds gears for to long.

The engine i replaced it with is from a 99 F250 but the engine in it was also replaced and is actually a 2002 PSD is there any differnce from 2002-2004?

I noticed the TPS in the donar truck is the old style that can be easily moded and the TPS in mine is a newer style that does not look to be able to be moded, could this differnce be a problem?

As there is no computers on the actual engine I couldnt see how this would cause an issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Jack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2010, 02:44 AM
scuffs *****

Send a message via AIM to Tyler
Yeah, BIG difference, you put a 7.3 in your truck, when you needed a 6.0 motor. The trannies are WAY different, motor is completley and totally different, computers are different, programs are different, you name it, its different.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

In Aus we didnt get the 6.0 untill 2006. As I said I didnt drop the tranny and didnt loose any oil from the TC only from the Radiator but Irefilled the tranny to corrrect level with the correct oil. And the auto was working fine before I took the old engine out. So I'm a little stumped at the moment any ideas would be great?
Old 04-25-2010, 03:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry just realised this wasnt in Transmission section if some one could move it to there thanks
Old 04-25-2010, 11:41 AM
scuffs *****

Then the computer programming is different between the two motors and its telling the transmission the wrong thing.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

As its the same engine and it revs out fine in neutral and auto runs fine if i drive it very softly just but it doesnt lock up hard like it use to and doesnt drop back gears when it should. What sensors will i need to swap on the engine to get it back to thinking its the original engine?

Cheers,
Jack
Old 04-25-2010, 04:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to thesmokinstroke02
i think youd have to get a different pcm in it
Old 04-25-2010, 07:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

As its still the original Auto and only the motor that changed I thought the PCM would still be the same. Do you think swapping the PCM out of the donor vehicle will cure the problem?
Old 04-25-2010, 08:20 PM
scuffs *****

Are the injectors and oil system the same? If the are just put your old PCM in it.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:56 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Yeah, BIG difference, you put a 7.3 in your truck, when you needed a 6.0 motor. The trannies are WAY different, motor is completley and totally different, computers are different, programs are different, you name it, its different.
guess you didnt know that till now they had the 7.3s till 2005.

swappin the pcm wont hurt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.