1999 NP 271 Super Duty T-case Problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 03:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1999 NP 271 Super Duty T-case Problem

Hi there. Been lurking on the site for a while, and I finally had something that I hope someone could help me with. I bought my first PSD about two months ago. Early 99 F-250, 6 Speed, Manual T-case shift, Supercab w/ short bed. I have been extremely happy with it, but ever since I bought it there has been something that has been bothering me.

There is a little bit of play/slop where the yoke comes out of the tail housing on the back on the transfer case. I can move this up a down a bit. It makes it seem like there is a bad u-joint vibration over 55. Maybe a bad bearing? The bad bearing must have messed up the seal, because some fluid is now leaking out. I looked on a diagram and there is a needle bearing in that tail housing, but I'm not sure if this would be the problem.

When looking at this diagram of the t-case, I believe part # 45 could be the bearing that is worn out. I have looked and haven't had any luck finding one to buy...or would I be better off trying to find a new tail-housing?

Has anyone dealt with this t-case before? Or had a similar issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2010, 10:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I had mine apart recently, not a bad job, needed some specialized tools though of you were going to do a rebuild (I bought the Rotunda kit on eBay for $100). The bearing & seal kit is pretty cheap and the TC is pretty simple inside,,,,

If you just needed bearings (not the chain or forks) you should be able to do it yourself without it being a really big deal. How many miles on your truck? Maybe it's time
Old 03-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The t-case has 220k on it. It doesnt seem to have anything really wrong with it beyond there is some slight slop in that output. There is not any bearing sounds, or problems shifting into 2wd or 4wd. Its not a ton of slop, but enough to draw my attention. I wish I had the time to rebuild one right now, and could afford to have my truck down for a while, but work is way to busy.

I think I may pull the tail housing off this weekend, and take a look at what is going on. I may have found a source for the needle bearing that is back there. Is that a press on fit? Or does it just slide in the tailhousing?

Could it also be possible that the nut on the yoke was not tightened enough? Maybe the previous owner didnt torque it down enough and over time worked loose...I know I have had that happen to the pinion nut on my Jeep once and destroyed the seal.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:38 AM
Serving Our Country!

Tookmine apart and replaced shift fork pads and put back in took about 3.5 hours. But I have impacts the only tool you nEed is a big socket to take out shaft. You can get it at tractor supply for 5 bucks. The rest of the tools are just normal garage tools
Old 04-04-2010, 08:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flooringit View Post
Tookmine apart and replaced shift fork pads and put back in took about 3.5 hours. But I have impacts the only tool you nEed is a big socket to take out shaft. You can get it at tractor supply for 5 bucks. The rest of the tools are just normal garage tools
I agree if all you're going to do is split the case to replace forks.... BUT to rebuild and replace all the bearings and seals, Good Luck with your "normal garage tools"

Here's what you want (and they're cheap enough, I'll be reselling mine for close to what I paid for it back on eBay ....) -> ROTUNDA FORD 271/273 NV TRANSFER CASES TOOL KIT : eBay Motors (item 200448863717 end time Apr-10-10 01:11:56 PDT)

Also, everybody should be aware that fork replacement is common because there are these plastic tabs on the end of the forks, where they contact the gear inside the TC, that wear-out quickly. This happens when a lunch box / toolbox / or ANYTHING rests against the shifter (in a manual 271) in the cab and causes pressure on those tabs to wear them prematurely.

SO, be SURE nothing is "resting" against your shifter!
Old 04-04-2010, 08:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I bought a tail housing needle bearing and seal from the dealership, and put it in on saturday. So far it seemed to correct the play in the output, and no more leaking. It was a really easy. Pulled the tail housing off, and the bearing was right there, replaced it, and the seal at the same time. Less vibrations when driving
Old 04-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My range fork pads are worn as I can barely get in into and out of 4L. What size socket did you need? I may have it in my garage tools. I don't "plan" on replacing anything else at this time. Is there any chance that you need to replace the fork itself or just the pads?

I figure I need the pads, gaskets and fresh ATF for the job and the 3.5 hours to do it.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

what type of wrench and what size does it take to remove drain plug and fill plug?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.