another Auto Hub Issue/Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
another Auto Hub Issue/Question

I am having the same issue with mine.
I put it in 4h or 4L and it wont engage the hubs, unless i put the hubs on manual. So I read the thread, i took the hose off of the nipple that is on the spindle housing, I turned the key on , turned it to 4h and i can feel the line sucking. I put a vacuum gage on it, and its pulling about .75inches to 1in/lb. not sure if thats enough or not. But thats what i got, I then took the nipple out blew it out, it was already clean. did this on both sides.I checked for vacuum at the nipple side of the hose near the hub, its sucking, I checked vacuum right at the pump and its sucking also. I did the drive down the road in 4h and my defroster IS NOT still blowing. I read in the thread that the O-rings on the HUB themselves might need to be changed, so im going to get them. Is there another seal that might need to be changed(inner hub seal or or something?) I replaced my ball joints in Jan. 2010, Is there a seal on the axle that might need to be changed? or ? any other things to try?.. I checked all my lines they all seem to be good. and also i did the vacuum pump test, where i turned the key on and let the vacuum pump run, and it eventually turns off, so im assuming its holding pressure in the vacuum resevior.I know my solnoid on the transmission is engaging i can hear it.
Is there a way to tell if the hubs are bad or not? I read the link about cleaning them and greasing them up, is there a way to tell if the diaphram is bad in the hub? Not sure what else to check. When i turn the hubs to manual they do work. it will engage the front end. I dont really want to goto aftermarket hubs, I have center caps that have no holes them to access the hubs, unless i cut them not really at that stage yet. would rather fix what i have.
2000 F250 4x4.

Any help is appreiciated.
thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Bump for ya!
Old 03-08-2010, 08:24 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You should have replaced the yellow O rings on the bearing assemblies when you did the ball joints. And I think you need more than 1lb of vacuum for the hub, but I could be wrong. The hubs are crap at best. Time for some Warns.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:26 PM

i have a leak and i cant find it anywhere. Ive done changed everything on the d@mn thing and nothing works. I have some factory lockouts for sale. I have 2 sets
Old 03-13-2010, 05:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Has anyone changed the valve that the hubs and the vacuum pump connect to.
Im not getting any vacuum to the hubs at all, Also checked to see if i am getting any vacuum out of the check valve that is mounted on the passenger fender well. Im not getting anything out of it. Has anyone changed this valve before? Im guessing its a check valve not sure what its called.
I put new o-rings on today, on the hubs, and the hub assemblies, also serviced the hubs to, took them apart and cleaned them.
checked all my vacuum lines and found nothing wrong with any of them, no cracks or leaks , blew compressed air thru them to make sure they werent stopped up, but still no vacuum at the hub.
any one?
Old 03-13-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaairman View Post
You should have replaced the yellow O rings on the bearing assemblies when you did the ball joints. And I think you need more than 1lb of vacuum for the hub, but I could be wrong. The hubs are crap at best. Time for some Warns.
My hubs have worked so far, but I must admit that it takes a few tries some times to get it into 4L. I miss my obs when it comes to this little plastic knob.
How difficult is it to install Warns & about how much cost?? Thanks
Old 03-14-2010, 08:37 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufaast View Post
Has anyone changed the valve that the hubs and the vacuum pump connect to.
Im not getting any vacuum to the hubs at all, Also checked to see if i am getting any vacuum out of the check valve that is mounted on the passenger fender well. Im not getting anything out of it. Has anyone changed this valve before? Im guessing its a check valve not sure what its called.
I put new o-rings on today, on the hubs, and the hub assemblies, also serviced the hubs to, took them apart and cleaned them.
checked all my vacuum lines and found nothing wrong with any of them, no cracks or leaks , blew compressed air thru them to make sure they werent stopped up, but still no vacuum at the hub.
any one?
I have replaced that valve and actually will sell you mine (slightly used but works) if you're interested since I switched to Warns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGJ View Post
How difficult is it to install Warns & about how much cost?? Thanks
It takes 15 mins to do both sides and the regular ones are $185. If your auto hubs still work they're worth more than that on eBay.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaairman View Post
I have replaced that valve and actually will sell you mine (slightly used but works) if you're interested since I switched to Warns.

It takes 15 mins to do both sides and the regular ones are $185. If your auto hubs still work they're worth more than that on eBay.
Good to know, thank you. I thought half of the problem was the device that shifts the transfer case. Am I wrong? I thought it was an electric motor. Really don't know. Just read about guys not being able to get it in or out of
4wd. BGJ
Old 05-24-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufaast View Post
I am having the same issue with mine.
I put it in 4h or 4L and it wont engage the hubs, unless i put the hubs on manual. So I read the thread...thanks,
Did you ever get this resolved? I am having the same thing on a 99 250, I put it in 4X4 or low and I hear the transfer case "engage" but unless I manually lock the hubs no 4-wheel drive.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:20 PM
Serving Our Country!

i second the warns. i replace all my vac stuff, i bought the warn premiums and they take only a second to install (the lockring is the only confusing part, had to scratch my head for a second. just have to spread it apart and pust it in there)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.