Powerstroke nOOb here, 4WD question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Powerstroke nOOb here, 4WD question

First of all hello all! This is my first post on powerstroke.org. I am posting this question because I have a question about a vehicle (7.3 Powerstroke) that I'm considering purchasing.

The truck belongs to an aquaintance that has allowed me to drive it for a few days and I've noticed a couple of (hopefully minor) issues. It's a 2000 7.3L F-350 4x4 dually with 75K miles. The price seems good and I really like the truck but am concerned about the fact that the 4 wheel drive doesn't seem to work.

Symptoms: When I went to test the 4 wheel, I could switch the dash knob and it would light up in all positions. I could also tell that the transfer case was engaging, but the hubs were not. The front left will lock in manually, but the right one just spins and spins when trying to engage it manually.

Neither wheel ever actually engages though. Also, I've read on here something about auto and manual 4WD on these trucks but it seems this one might be some kind of hybrid. Does the auto 4WD not have manual lockouts or am I missing something?

Thank you for any assistance. My other issue seems to be a possible turbo problem, but I will post that question in the appropriate forum for it. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 04:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like this truck haas both (many of them do). Manual locking hubs in case the vacuum in the auto gets messed up because it it common to happen (not just in fords but all trucks) But even manually locking the hubs it wont engage?
Old 03-03-2010, 04:18 PM

well on this truck i guess you could say it is a "hybrid" because you can engage auto or manually... if the lights light up with the auto but dont engage you could have a vac problem and if you engage manually and it locks one side and not the other your free spinning hub may be seized up... you can pull the hub and grease it and reassemble it... but as for the one locking and not being engaged? how do you know? did you lift the front end of the truck and check to see if it won't free spin? if so there is no telling how major the problem could be... personally i would have him get it fixed before i would think about purchasing... hopefully this helps you?
Old 03-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYates73 View Post
well on this truck i guess you could say it is a "hybrid" because you can engage auto or manually... if the lights light up with the auto but dont engage you could have a vac problem and if you engage manually and it locks one side and not the other your free spinning hub may be seized up... you can pull the hub and grease it and reassemble it... but as for the one locking and not being engaged? how do you know? did you lift the front end of the truck and check to see if it won't free spin? if so there is no telling how major the problem could be... personally i would have him get it fixed before i would think about purchasing... hopefully this helps you?
CYates, I like your theory about lifting the truck just to see if that other wheel turns. I admittedly wasn't using the best case scenario as far as testing. I was just in snow (didn't get stuck though). I would have to lift all wheels up to test that theory to completion, but it is a good one to think about.

It all may be a moot point however, because my friend that owns the truck said that she promised a rock solid truck and will send it to her certified Ford mechanic and have both problems resolved to my satisfaction at the quoted price before I buy...and she quoted a good price.

You can't ask anymore than that and I really want this truck. I just like Ford trucks. Escpecially the 7.3

Just so you know, this will be a truck that is going to have to work along side of my current Dodge Ram Cummins 5.9 dually that I love too.

They will both be welcome around here. And thank you all for the responses. It looks like I'm going to be back in the Ford game soon and I will be a good citizen around here... I promise.

Thanks again you guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.