Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Needle Bearing Race Question

980 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  NoRalPh 
#1 ·
I am wondering what everyone thinks about the race on the stub shaft being worn down .001-.002" from a trashed "spindle" needle bearing. Should I just hit it with some ultra fine emery cloth to get the grooves and pitting cleaned up and put it back together or should I replace the stub shaft? I can get the shaft for $174 from the Ford dealer (or $300 from O'Reilly Auto Parts). Attached are some pictures. This is what happens when you suspect it is going bad but don't make the time to get in there and take care of it before it becomes a problem. :doh: It appears that the knouckle seal went bad and it got water in there on what of my trips out in the mud. Nobody to blame here but myself. :tard:

Also, on a side note...how is everyone getting the knuckle seal and the axle tube dust seal off the axle shaft? I know how to make the tool to get it back on, but is there any other way to get it off other than a press? Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
No opinions? At this point I would be interested to hear your opinion even if you don't really know for sure. I am trying to decide to put it all back together today or to order a stub shaft on Monday.
-Aaron

#4 ·
Dang, that's kind of what I was thinking too. :( Oh well, I saved a bunch on the locking hubs (I bought 4 used stockers in excellent condition for $50), I guess it won't hurt to make sure it's done right.
-Aaron

#5 ·
As I said in your earlier post, if it were Me,,,, I'd clean it up and see how long the bearings lasts. For 10 bucks and under an hour / compared to the $$ and time it'll take, why not find out?

Listen for the noise to return now that you know what it sounds like. If it took a year to come back you'd be better off waiting until you really Needed to go past that Knuckle Seal for a U-Joint or Ball Joints or something more serious.

As for removing the Knuckle Seal from the Hub/Axle it's easiest to just cut the sheet metal and peel it away until it's in half.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.