Hub/Needle bearing problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 02:45 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hub/Needle bearing problems

I thought my needle bearings or hub might have been going bad, but I didn't have any time to mess with it and I was in denial. Anyhow, I tore it apart today and sure enough, the needle bearing was TRASHED and of course so was the stub shaft. It was full of water (I guess the seal went bad and started this whole thing, funny thing is my vaccum hubs still worked...go figure). I am currently trying to source all of the parts I need. I have the majority of them...Here are the questions....

1)My hub bearing unit is still good, but the needle bearings in the backside of it are shot. It looks like it might be replaceable...is it? If so, where to get the part? Dealership only or has anyone sourced one from somewhere else?

2)I think this will be the trickiest part...Where to get the stub shaft from? Junkyards around here don't have any of these trucks in them at all. I can only imagine what the dealership wants. I will call Currie and places like that tomorrow.

3)I know I have seen it before, but does anyone have the link on how to build the seal instal tool?

4)With the water in the hub and bearing do I need to go ahead and replace the bearing unit too? I think it is sealed and it has no play in it, but I don't want to tear back into it too soon.

Let's hear the thoughts and suggestions. Just trying to do the best job for the cheapest I can. Thanks!
-Aaron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2010, 03:05 PM
Premium Member

One more....Does anyone know if a Dana 50 stub shaft from an OBS TTB is the same as the Super Duty Dana 50 stub shafts? I found one on Ebay for $30.
-Aaron
Old 02-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The needle brgs are certainly replaceable -> Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page

BUT you're talking about a Much bigger, Much more expensive, job if you're going to change the stub axle....

One is going to cost you $10 in parts the other maybe $250 - you sure you want to do it?

If it were me, I'd polish-up the axle as best you can, grease the crap out of it and see how long it lasts (you could replace that brg yearly without much trouble).

If there was water in there the Hub's probably not going to go for alot longer either but, it's on the outside of the Knuckle Seal so it's a simple job to replace.

Here's another good link for some pictures -> http://seven.three.superdutypsd.com/...Joint_Write_Up
Old 02-18-2010, 05:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I just went through the same thing but my bearing had pretty much exploded. The u-joint had so much play in it.My hub bearing was 130, and the stub shaft with u-joint was 115. Was spicer name brand. Hope this helps
Old 02-18-2010, 05:28 PM
Premium Member

Yeah, true. I wish the dynatrac conversion was about $750 cheaper, this wouldn't be so hard to figure out. Checked O'reilly's and they can get the stub shaft for $310. Too pricey I think. Mine is pretty tore up, but maybe cleaning it up and running it is the way to go. Either way, I"m looking at 225 for the hubs, 110 or. 310 for the unit bearing, around 100 in seals and potentially 300 for the stub shaft. The "old" Dana 60 is such a better setup.
-Aaron
Old 02-18-2010, 05:36 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captivahach View Post
I just went through the same thing but my bearing had pretty much exploded. The u-joint had so much play in it.My hub bearing was 130, and the stub shaft with u-joint was 115. Was spicer name brand. Hope this helps
Man! Was that stub shaft new? If so, where in the heck did you get it from. I'm all over it for that price.
-Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.