Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

No power streering AND no power brakes???

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  CakeEater 
#1 ·
OK, so I finally got the truck out of the horrendous apartment parking lot and guess what? No I have no power steering. Also, I have zero power brakes.

I noticed that the power steering pump is leaking so problem #1 is solved. FIX: get a new pump and install it. Now, is the power brakes b/c of the power steering?

There is already an existing condition of no electric 4WD, (IT'S NOT A VAC HUB ISSUE! IT'S AN ISSUE WITH THE TRANSFER CASE SELECTION MOTOR.)

Are the power brakes run off of the power steering pressure and that's why I have no brakes? I just had new brakes installed about a month ago on the front and they were working perfectly fine when I parked the truck Fri night at the beginning of this retarded storm. (And we are getting more this afternoon thru wed.)

Please help. I have got the truck into a parking lot that actually gets plowed about 1/4 mile away, right next to Advanced Auto Parts.

C'mon guys and gals. Diagnose my issues please!!!

(Seams like my life sucks no matter what. If it isn't one thing it's something else!)

See less See more
#3 ·
So once I get the power steering fixed, I'll have my brakes back? In theory?

I knew they had to be related somehow b/c it's very rare for two major systems to go out at the exact same time.

Thanks a million. Guess I'm off to get a new ps pump.

#4 ·
Your power brakes are run off the power steering. And you must bleed your power steering system after you replace your pump.

#5 ·
Is swapping out the PS pump a PITA? I think I can get one tomorrow and use some tools from Advanced to get it done...assuming they don't mind me doing it there in the parking lot! LOL. Reman CARDONE pump is $60 and a $30 core. Also, anyone familiar w/ bleeding the system? I think that's going to be the hardest part...other than pulling EVERYTHING off the ds of the fender to get to the PS pump.

#6 ·
So, I've figured out that the ps pump is 100 percent shot. So after looking around and pulling some legs, I got a reman pump from Advanced Autoparts and the truck is on it's way as I type to Tires Plus down the street from work. And, as it's my unspoken duty around here to take picks everytime Brisco is on a flat bed, here they are, one at a time:

#7 ·
Pic numero dos:

#8 ·
And numero tres!

#9 ·
With any luck, Brisco will be back on the road after work Monday.

Also, I'm gonna make a separate post about it when it's actually 100 percent official and the deal is done, but my 1998 Neon, Kenny, is leaving my care, along with all the Neon performance parts I've acquired over the last ten years. His replacement... That's a surprise for y'all to come.

Guesses???????

#10 ·
So new news about ol Brisco. The shop that was supposed to do the work dropped the ball and then refused to work on the truck, so I got someone else to do it. Turns out it was the line off the powersteering pump to the brakes. So, after two tows (180 for the first one and 175 for the second tow), the actual repair (a total of 600 for some guy that has a small shop to do the work this morning), one taxi to work this morning (30 bucks), and the gas money for guys at work to shuttle me to/from work the other times (total of 35 bucks), truck is fixed. I still have to go to Ford in the morning and pick up the new line (it's rigged now for temp fix). As it is now, just over a grand (not including the 60 for the new pump). My life is hell!!!... But the truck turns w/out me getting a hernia!!!

#12 ·
I have some pics. I'll upload them soon.

#13 ·
Sorry to hear about your problem with the high pressure line. Look on the bright side, you're alive. Mine went out just as I got off the NJ turnpike. Had the family in the truck and I'm glad it went out in the parking lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.