Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

God Awful noise!

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  GreenF350 
#1 ·
When ever i goose it from a stop it sounds like someone is taking a saw zaw to my bed/cab. I think i have narrowed it down to the rear drive line. the carrier bearing is completely toast and that round metal object that attaches to the drive line closer towards the rear end that is coupled by rubber... well the rubber has cracked and it is all crooked, I believe it is a dampener of some sort. I have a drive line shop that will fit me up with a Single piece Rear drive line for under 200, including new u-joints. I would like to hear your thoughts on this, PROS/CONS. THANKS :thumb:

#3 ·
SOunds like you've found yer problem,,,,, a bad ujoint will make a terrible racket on acceleration,,,, On my last Chevy I knew for sure I had a rear axle bearing gone out, as the sound seemed to more noticable as if in a specific spot during tire rotation,,,,,, Bought all the bearings and crap, only to find it was a ujoint at the pumkin end.

Rb

#5 ·
Don't know correct info on a 1 piece, not enough on these trucks to advise on anyway. WAIT A MINUTE..... I DO...they got less parts...:crazy:

I know on my chevy gas motor truck I went to a built single piece rear shaft, it was bullet proof, but the truck was not a tourqe monster either...

sorry,, Russ

#7 ·
Good to hear it worked out. I got a buddy that is looking for a way to get a one piece driveshaft in place of the two piece. Similar problems to yours only he just replaced the carrier bearing and made sure it was shimmed right too! I will let him know it fixes the problem. (I figured it would)
-Aaron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.