2000 f350 transfer case problem, help !!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 04:38 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 f350 transfer case problem, help !!!!!

as of right now i still dont have 4x4, i turn the key on and then select 4hi, i can hear the transfer case motor run, then click, run then click, run then click. i still dont have 4x4. does this sound like i have something broken? any help would be great! also, do i need to take it in and have it changed or is this something i can do on my own if it is the motor, thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2009, 08:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mine did the same thing. I pulled the motor off (3 10MM bolts, 2 connectors...easy) and took it apart. The gears inside were chewed up/missing teeth. Motor itself still worked, but would not turn the gears. Bought a new one from Napa.

Hopefully that's your only problem.

Mine still isn't right, either I got a bad motor or have bent shift fork in transfer case or something as it will go into 4 hi and low, just won't come out.

Good Luck and like I said, changing the motor out is easy.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:28 AM

do i need to take it in and have anything reprogramed? i thought i read somewhere that i need to have the gem redone, thanks
Old 12-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I thought I'd read that, too. I asked either here or dieselstop.com and was told NO for a reprogram.

Maybe someone who really knows for sure can chime in and turn the light on for us!
Old 12-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

UPDATE--- There is NO "reprogramming" necessary, but you need to get trouble codes cleared. These will not make the check engine light illuminate, and you won't be able to read or clear the codes with a standard OBDII scanner. Read below-

Since my Napa shift motor came with a 1 year warranty, I went ahead and swapped it out today. On the instructions, at the bottom in BOLD letters it says to NOT engage the motor until you have the ATC trouble codes cleared using the proper scan tool.

I installed the new motor there in the parking lot, and drove down to Ford. (making sure NOT to engage four wheel drive, of course)

After explaining to the tech the situation, and referring him to the instruction sheet, he hooked up the snazzy laptop/code scanner to my truck. He found multiple codes in regards to the transfer case and shift motor. He cleared the codes, now my four wheel drive works flawlessly. I was charged nothing. Your results may vary.

Good Luck snopro442 I hope this helps you!
Old 12-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
i have one of those OEM motors here in stock that i was going to use on my own truck but never did... they are over 580 new.. make me an offer

-Raul
Old 12-10-2009, 06:00 PM

Thanks for all the help, I will be installing it friday and then I will take it to the dealer to have the codes removed, I will post an update later next week.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i wonder whay the codes needto be clearedto have the 4w work again? Also why would it hurt the new motor ifyou dont?I believe you guys here. Just wondering why or how?
Old 12-15-2009, 08:16 PM

replaced the motor and had the codes cleared, they came up with 3 different codes all 3 came from the transfer case problem, works great, ready to go!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.