Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

'02 CrewCab 4wd - Repair of steel brakeline going to rear

895 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  NoRalPh 
#1 ·
Rust got the best of my rear brakeline recently, so I'm going to replace the entire approx 12' section with NickelCopper. I've removed the old line (in sections) and getting ready to route the new inside the frame, but is it worth the trouble to remove the fuel tank to do so? Or can I remove the straps and roll it (on a jack) towards the driveshaft to give a few more inches of clearance? Would it be best to bend the new line to match the old where it goes around the frame beforehand, or run it straight and bend as-needed around everything in the way? This NiCopp is very easy to bend.

Thanks, Bryan

#2 ·
I've had to replace mine just as you are, w/NiCo.

I dropped the tank to make it easier, you might find enough room by leaving the fuel lines still on (you'll be disconnection the Fill/Vent or it won't move at all), but if all you had left were those 2 connections to the sending unit, I would think it's worth taking them off for all the extra space you'd get ;)

The easy method is to drain it dry first by opening the yellow drain lever, connecting some tubing to the end of the drain pipe (over the top of the ft pass tire) and using a battery to power the fuel pump (I used my starter pak). Get some 5gal cans to store the fuel.

Pre bending never worked-out for me, the tubing is so soft it doesn't hold much shape as you're installing it. Just bend it as you go...

Also, with the tank down, might be a good idea to look inside to check the mixer screens

#3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'm really trying to avoid removing the fuel talk completely as I'm afraid, with my luck, I'll create additional problems with the tank electronics. If the tank will move even a couple inches away from the frame, it will be a lot easier to get my hands in there to route and bend the line.

#4 ·
No need to remove the fuel tank to change brake lines. It is a simple job, just make sure they aren't rubbing on the metal anywhere when you are done.

#6 ·
I would want to be sure you get that new line snapped into each plastic block as well as know you're not going to have a chafing issue on another line (a steel line would win that battle against the new one).

To do that in the narrow space you'd leave yourself with the tank in place would take more extra time than dropping it I'm sure....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.