Hole in Rear Axel Cover.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 12:51 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hole in Rear Axel Cover..

I have a 1999 F350 4X4 duallly Crew cab...heard a pop in rear area....looked under and have a rip in the axle cover...took cover of..have spider gears in the bottom etc.... What happend?? .truck has 149k..Any suggestions..total noob.. Thanks

Shack in Nac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well . . . it broke!

You will need a rebuild and if it was me I would replace the carrier with a locking carrier of some kind while I was at it. Check the gears over well and don't forget to wash out the wheel bearings just in case shards got that far.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:02 PM

My guess is a broken carrier pin. Power adders will do that. Happened to my buddy's Ranger twice.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:57 PM

I don't have any power adders..100% stock...Took out the carrier today..exciter ring bent, 1 spider gear broke...I need a whole carrier unit I guess..some of the spider gear is ,.lodged between the ring gear..can't get the ring off... thanks for the help about the bearing having chips in them ,,,i will try to find something..any suggestions on the locker unit..how much etc$$$

Thanks Broke down in TX... Shack
Old 11-05-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack in Nac View Post
I don't have any power adders..100% stock...Took out the carrier today..exciter ring bent, 1 spider gear broke...I need a whole carrier unit I guess..some of the spider gear is ,.lodged between the ring gear..can't get the ring off... thanks for the help about the bearing having chips in them ,,,i will try to find something..any suggestions on the locker unit..how much etc$$$

Thanks Broke down in TX... Shack
You are down in the lone star state so you may be ahead to look for a used axle with a stock locker and your ratio, should be a good selection there. They last a heck of a long time normally and a used should service.

Only a couple lockers out there for the 10.25 and I went with Detroit.
Here is one.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:51 PM

Posi

Thanks for the help...I will call and see how much$$ it will be.. I will look for a used unit... I love to visit Alaska someday..fish hunt what a Blessing in your part of the world..

Shack
Old 11-05-2009, 06:44 PM

Yes I love Alaska, took me 20 years to work my way up here. I'm from Arizona but went to high school in Hico Texas, thatís not a bad hunt and fish state either. I learned to trap there and now I supplement my income trapping, I was hunting something almost every day I lived in Texas!
Old 11-05-2009, 10:41 PM

Probably a good thing you need a new carrier as it is my understanding that an aftermarket locker will not go i a carrier that already contains a limited slip. That being said, you most likely need to find an open carrier if you want aftermarket.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Bronco View Post
Probably a good thing you need a new carrier as it is my understanding that an aftermarket locker will not go i a carrier that already contains a limited slip. That being said, you most likely need to find an open carrier if you want aftermarket.
Never heard that, do you know why? My 95 and 89 F350s are factory locked front and back and the wifeís 01 EX was open till I dropped a Detroit in the back this summer. I want a selectable OX or air locker for my 95 someday, got to run with one hub open on the ice or she donít turn for crap no matter what you do . . . even with the T-case in 2H it goes straight!
Old 11-06-2009, 04:01 AM

That's what I'm saying. You can't put an actual locker over a limited slip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.