Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1997 FORD F-350 RANDOM STALLS

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  WFarms97HD 
#1 ·
I have 1997 Ford F-350 Reg cab 4x4 143k miles 7.3 PSD manual trans. The truck randomally dies like you are turning the switch off but stays running and comes back alive. I have changed the CPS and I sent my ECM off and had it checked.

Also, it throws a check engine light but has no codes present and everytime my scanner goes to read the the PCM, the truck does it(dies). It is like you are turning the switch off and back on real quick.

The truck is all stock and original.

#2 ·
Have you used that scanner successfully to read codes before? Most generic scanners will not read these trucks. Cheers!

#5 ·
Since this thread has been bumped....
Also, it throws a check engine light but has no codes present and everytime my scanner goes to read the the PCM, the truck does it(dies).
If the CE light is on, there ARE codes present. Even with the CE light off, you should at least get a P1111, which is the code for "all well". The engine stalling when you attempt to retrieve codes is a classic case of what happens when you try to scan an OBS PSD truck with a generic reader. If you're using AE, you MUST have the "Ford Enhanced" feature activation. And you must make sure to choose "Ford Enhanced" when AE connects.

#7 ·
Sounds like the idm is losing its ground. Check the ground strap for connection

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.