lots of white smoke.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 05:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
lots of white smoke....

im gettin kind of ticked....every morning when i start my truck or any time when its cold i one have to throttle up because my back pressure valve dont work it leaks oil out....and two even after warming up for like 20 minutes i go to leave and i always take off in 2nd so when i finally get some rpms it blows a crazy amount of white smoke like enought that i could pri stop traffic.....then it goes away when i clutch and comes back once i hit about 22-2500 rpms.....what in the world could that be????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2009, 06:14 AM

no one knows
Old 02-04-2009, 06:35 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
White smoke is usually water. At least that's how it goes with my 5 cyl Duetz in da skidder.

White smoke = water
Black smoke = over fueled
Blue smoke @ start = normal.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:51 AM

theres no way there could be that much water in my fuel.....and it only does it till the engine warms up alittle....so i already ruled water out....and at an idle it blows white smoke...like alot of white smoke....im thinkin maybe bad injectors.....
Old 02-04-2009, 07:02 AM

White smoke is water. Not trying to be a ****, but facts is facts.
I can't see how injectors could produce white smoke unless they spray water in there.
I hate to say it, but you might have a coolant leak....that's why on start up there's a lot, but after you roll it "goes away"...
Could be simple condensation, but if there's THAT much white smoke...
Good luck.

Last edited by Rob; 02-05-2009 at 09:09 AM. Reason: no foul language.... read the COC.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:58 AM

still dont think its water....my buddies cummins does the same thing because the timing is advanced....not loosing any coolant...except from my resevor which is getting old so i bought the right radiator cap and hopefully that stops....but yeah im not loosing coolant so not that....itll do it for miles down the road....through all 5 gears.....when its just idleing its got a blueish tint to it which is obvioulsy a small amount of oil....so i know the injectors are bad....they have 300,000miles on them....i was just wanderin if the white smoke could have anythin to do with my ebpv.....
Old 02-04-2009, 08:02 AM

My 7.3 makes no smoke whatsoever after warm up. If you have that much white smoke in all the gears for miles, you have a serious issue. Wish I could honestly tell you otherwise. but that's what I think. Good luck....and keep a weather eye on that coolant tank..
Old 02-05-2009, 04:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Isn't white smoke at start up also unburned diesel? I know mine blew white smoke cranking over with a bad GPR in cold weather. Maybe on cylinder having little compression or valve issues, so no fire. Once it gets warm that cylinder then starts to fire. Just a wild @#$ guess.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:43 AM

that was another thought of mine....today it did it all the way to school and then some on the way home....i know it cant be water b/c i've had at least 10 tank fulls of fuel through each tank and changed both my fuel filters 3 times....thats all in 3 months.....im interested in seeing what it does this weekend...its supposed to be almost 50 so thats plenty warm....im sticking with my ebpv or bad injectors....today i clouded out the road in town when i was leaving.....all 5 gears blew smoke....but i realized when i start it she smokes alot of white...and i have to throttle up so my ebpv doesnt leak oil out....then once its alittle warm the smoke gets real thin....then when im driving and get to about 1700 rpms it clouds the road....if it was black id be cool with it but since its white like the exhaust from a gas i dont like it...
Old 02-05-2009, 09:01 AM

Unburned fuel at starting is blue. White smoke is always always water. Having dealt with water several hundred times in the last 12 years with 2 skidders and the F550, I am confident in this opinion. Go see a diesel tech, and if possible, go to an international dealer. They know more than the ford techs 9 out of 10 times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.