New owner of 1997 F250 4x4 7.3 question about turbo - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2014, 10:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New owner of 1997 F250 4x4 7.3 question about turbo

Im a new owner of a 1997 F250 Ext. Cab 4x4 7.3 with 210k miles
I picked the truck up for $3500 and everything works great. New tires, AC/Heat work great, Upper and lower ball joints replaced last year, all new shocks, ect.

The only issue I am having is this. When I bought it Thursday, the guy told me he put a new tensioner and belt on it. He told me there was play in one of the pulleys and he thought that was causing the noise the truck was making. He said truck makes high pitch noise when you hit 2,000 rpm but not until then. I drove the truck on a test drive and heard the noise and figured it was probably turbo related because the noise was not present at low RPMs, only when the turbo should kick in. I used that as a good bargaining chip and got the truck for what I thought was a good price.

Here is what I have experienced the last two days. In the mornings when it is cool still, I notice the noise has pretty much dissapeared on my way to work. In the evenings when the truck has sat in the sun, and it is 100 degrees down here in TX, the noise is prevelant and kicks in at around 2000 rpms. I think the turbo is stock but I'm no expert. Gonna take it to my mechanic Tuesday but wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this problem. The truck looses some power when the noise starts but after it shifts gears, the noise goes away and power returns. The pulley that he said was loose looks to be the power stearing pulley and it is not that bad and doesn't have a lot of play. I dont think this is the cause but could be wrong.
I am thinking turbo for two reasons: 1. Noise and loss of power only occurs at high RPMs when turbo kicks in. 2. The PO had a superchip 1705 that he said he used a couple times and I think you are supposed to get a performance turbo to run the programmer and this could have caused the turbo to fail.

This is my first diesel and I am using it as a work truck/ ranch truck. I dont want to break the bank fixing it and am driving it daily for now. Is it okay to drive for a while with this problem? Is it really costly to fix? And can I rebuild the turbo myself to fix the problem?

I regularly work on my own engines and change my own oil and do my own maintenance but diesel is new to me. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2014, 10:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Welcome to the forum!

I would remove the intake boot from the breather to turbo compressor and inspect the blades. If the boot is the original orange boot, make sure it is not tearing at the clamps (common). Ford has a kit to update that boot and there are a couple of aftermarket replacements as well (orange boot is not available anymore, hasn't been for a long time). Also check the radial play and axial play of the turbo shaft (maybe the blades are starting to hit the housing???). The turbos can be rebuilt. Ron's Turbo Service has rebuild kits and I'm sure there are other places that sell them too. The SC 1705 shouldn't have produced enough extra boost to cause turbo failure. Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.