More thermostat problems... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2014, 03:43 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
More thermostat problems...

I think I'm going to cry now. Drained my coolant, removed the upper radiator hose, unscrewed the two front most thermostat screws just fine. The rear most screw felt a little tight. Guess what?...the screw snapped right off. On top of all that I'm unable to remove the thermostat itself!! ..WTF?! All the videos I've watched the thermostat just comes right out. Not mine ....tried prying on it and pulling it up but it won't budge. What the hell am I going to do now??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2014, 04:00 PM

Now that I've had a couple beers and calmed down a bit I think the thermostat is stuck because the engine (and it) is still quite warm. I'll wait till it completely cools down and hopefully it'll pull right out.

As for this bolt ....#%@%^#@#@#!!!! ...I have some easy outs but this bolt is in a nearly impossible tight area.

Any advice is welcome here.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I did this about a week ago. Except, I snapped 3/3 thermostat housing bolts.

Just replace the water pump. It's the easiest option.

To get to the rear bolt, you'll have to pull the water pump anyway. And I /still/ haven't managed to get the thermostat out of the old water pump... not that I've tried that hard.

I was going to replace the thermostat, snapped 3/3, gave up, and replaced:
- Water pump
- Thermostat
- Thermostat housing (seriously, don't reuse the old one, it's going to leak)
- Upper & lower radiator hoses
- Serpentine belt

While you're in there, may as well refresh the front end. It's maybe $300 or $400 in parts, total (I had to pick up some tools, so it was around $400 for me, your cost may vary depending on what you have).

15 lb*ft on the water pump bolts! The manual is WRONG!
Old 06-29-2014, 05:47 AM

Thanks for the advice. Can't replace the pump right now and I really need the truck back in service. I think I'm going to JB weld the housing back onto the water pump. It's a ****ty fix and in the future if I have a problem in this area I'll definitely need to replace the pump.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You might be able to use a small c clamp as well.

Either way, try to get it fixed properly at the first opportunity. And keep an eye on coolant levels.
The Following User Says Thank You to Syonyk For This Useful Post:
mikeallenbrown (06-29-2014)
Old 06-29-2014, 08:35 AM

I can tell this isn't going to work ...ugh! New water pump, fan clutch tool, lower/upper hoses, and 203 thermostat now on order.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yeah... those housing bolts are a pain. :/ At this point, I'd go so far as to say, "If you're going to pull the thermostat housing, plan on doing the water pump if you haven't personally removed and anti-seized the bolts for the thermostat."

While you're in there, a new serpentine belt is worth doing if you haven't done it - you've got to do it anyway. Fold the old one up and throw it in - you can change it on the side of the road, if you really have to (and have a breaker bar for the tensioner). You try to loosen the tensioner pulley bolt to release tension on it.

Check all the idler pulleys when you've got the belt off, and generally feel around to make sure all the bearings are in good shape.

You probably also want to grab a new thermostat housing as the stock ones are mostly "single use" - you sometimes can make them work again, but often as not they just leak persistently.

Here are my suggestions from last weekend: Syonyk's 7.3 Powerstroke Water Pump Suggestions - hopefully they save you some time.

I went with the Dieselsite billet thermostat housing and extended top radiator hose when I did mine.

It's a pain in the rear, but at least everything will be done and you shouldn't have to touch it for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.