Finally, something more problematic than an ex wife - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2014, 09:12 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Finally, something more problematic than an ex wife

Okay, so basically in short (after a mildly satisfying success) I had installed a new fuel pump in my truck and got it running after two weeks of dinkin' around with it and got it running (yay!).

But now there's two issues. 1: Fuel bubbles out of the cap regardless of how much I torque it down and when I run it for more than 10 minutes the truck acts like it's out of fuel when I'm running anything above 35-50 like it's starving for fuel. But when I let the truck cruise in neutral or park it for a second, it'll smooth out run like a champ and then sputter and act like it's dying again. I'm thinking the fuel leaking from the cap is the issue as in letting air get into the lines, but I'm not sure.

Issue 2: I hear a pop while taking the truck on a diagnostic drive down my road and all my brakes were gone, I had all but JUST enough to slow down and basically used the tranny to slow me down to a creep while I put it slowly up a hill to finally stop. I havn't checked it out yet, but I wanted to know what are common issues with the OBS Powerstroke's braking systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2014, 03:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Brakes-blew a line. best to change them all.

Make sure you use the proper gasket for the cap, also if it is a wedge style gasket make sure the point is up. If it still leaks try a good filter not the cheapest one you can find, I use Wix\NAPA pro select service grade filters and they seal pretty good.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:45 PM

Yeah, I got I believe the STP fuel filter that Autocrap sells. I swear if this gasket fails and makes me melt my pump down there's no heck in comparison.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:04 PM

It will just leak and smell.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtcrew51m View Post
It will just leak and smell.

I'm hoping. It would suck if it melted my pump down. So what would be the cause of it ''defueling'' or acting like it's choking after about 10 minutes of driving above 35?

Okay, so I'm pretty sure you're right and I'm lucky. I had my wife pump the brakes a couple times and had found where the line had busted off at the rear wheel by the exhaust and was squirtin' fluid like a banshee. So, I get to work on the truck again yay! Lol, hopefully this is the only thing wrong, I will replace both sides lines.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:53 AM

Pump wont melt down, its a diaphragm pump, it takes alot to melt one of them down, defueling might be the fuel bowl regulator is clogged, look up cleaning the fuel bowl and regulator. Also does it do it with both tanks?
Old 06-19-2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Pump wont melt down, its a diaphragm pump, it takes alot to melt one of them down, defueling might be the fuel bowl regulator is clogged, look up cleaning the fuel bowl and regulator. Also does it do it with both tanks?
It only has one tank. This truck is kind of a Frankenstein so to speak because it was owned by the state of Ohio since it was new and I believe at one point was a dually (didn't make crew cab long bed 3/4 or 1-ton's of that year) and had the two tanks but for some reason dropped both and just replaced with one tank.

I'm thinking it may be defueling for some reason or another. I'll look up the FPR cleaning methods tonight when I get home from work. I never really thought about that, I figured maybe the leak around the cap was causing it to suck air in and cause the studdering but the FPR being plugged actually seems about right because I didn't clean that or anything when I took the fuel pump out and cleaned the bowl. Thanks for the help. I'm kind of new to diesel pick-up's so...gasp!...I have a lot of stupid questions and such since I've primarily worked on gassers since I was 12 lol
Old 06-19-2014, 04:27 PM

Me too. Always had gas trucks, and given the condition of my truck when I got it I learned alot about 7.3 powerstrokes, besides the fact I work for NAPA auto parts and we have a very good training session about the powerstroke. t never hurts to ask questions. Somebody somewhere here knows the answers to many questions.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Me too. Always had gas trucks, and given the condition of my truck when I got it I learned alot about 7.3 powerstrokes, besides the fact I work for NAPA auto parts and we have a very good training session about the powerstroke. t never hurts to ask questions. Somebody somewhere here knows the answers to many questions.
Yeah. I've gotten quite a lot of help here. That's why I decided to join. Great forum with knowledgeable members instead of ego stroking pole smokers. My wife and I bought this truck for 500 bucks from a buddy and plan on over time restoring it lol. But, making it a safe daily is priority right now.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:54 PM

One good thing about our trucks, almost all pats are still available. Well as far as ego, maybe a little, bu I do hold my head high when I drive my OBS powerstroke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.