tie rods & drag link need for a 97' F250 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2014, 11:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
tie rods & drag link need for a 97' F250

I'm having a hell of a time trying to find correct parts...calling O'Rielly or Autozone was next to useless and Googling around wasn't much better. I can't seem to get a straight answer! ...the JC Whitney site gives me several options but the pics all look the same and they don't tell me what the differences are (except price). I'm wanting heavy duty parts. I live out in the sticks and go 4 wheeling on occasion ...I need some help here:

I need both tie rods and the two drag links (the ball studs on these are either missing and uselessly rotted).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2014, 01:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Try RockAuto.com. What the AutoZtoners (etc) don't get is that in '97, there was a "light duty" F250, which was based on the new-generation F150 (it should have been called an F200), a completely different chassis. These parts are gonna be the same as for a '96, so wherever you look or ask, lookup by both years to confirm the right numbers. RA lists them all under "Tie Rod End", BTW, and the sleeves are in a separate category.
The Following User Says Thank You to madpogue For This Useful Post:
mikeallenbrown (06-12-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 01:24 PM

Go to NAPA, if you need part numbers I will look them up and post them. We have all the parts to do a complete rebuild. I can tell by the photos of what you need.
The Following User Says Thank You to dirtcrew51m For This Useful Post:
mikeallenbrown (06-12-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 02:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtcrew51m View Post
Go to NAPA, if you need part numbers I will look them up and post them. We have all the parts to do a complete rebuild. I can tell by the photos of what you need.
Thanks! .... Does this look right to you?

Old 06-12-2014, 04:54 PM

Yes they do look right, I will still check at work tomorrow, when I did my steering I reused the adjuster sleeves, they were fine, and if you want the better\heavy duty parts go with the NCP line not the MRC line, the NCP is lifetime warranty, the MRC are 1 yr warranty. I have some heavy duty customers who only use the NCP line because they dont want the trucks coming back. You also have to watch wit the F250's, there is a standard and a heavy duty version of the trucks, I found that out with mine, it is an F250 with F350 stuff like ujoints and the front end parts. Probably done for the 7.3 while the gas motors use the standard 3\4 ton parts.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
You also have to watch wit the F250's, there is a standard and a heavy duty version of the trucks, I found that out with mine, it is an F250 with F350 stuff like ujoints and the front end parts. Probably done for the 7.3 while the gas motors use the standard 3\4 ton parts.
Actually, it's the other way around. See above. Our F250s, the ones relevant to this site, are the "standard" duty F250. It's the same F250, with changes over the years of course, that had been around for decades before. The '97 "light duty" F250, based on the new style F150 of that year, is the one that is more appropriately thought of as an "F200". And neither one is the same as an F350; the F350 has a Dana 60 front end with a solid axle and completely different steering components, whereas the F250 has a Dana 50 with a twin traction beam (TTB) axle. And who cares what the "light duty" F250 has.....

I ended up getting new sleeves, for a simple purpose. It allowed me to drop the whole existing assembly, then build up the new one, matching the spacing between the ball joints. Then I hung the whole new assembly all at once. This also gave me the option of re-hanging the old assembly as a "fall-back", in case anything went wrong (IT lesson - always advantageous to have an "undo" strategy).
Old 06-12-2014, 05:27 PM

Forgot some of the 96,97, and 99's are different than the 95 and down, my truck is a 95 F250, yet it has all of the components are of an F350, such as the steering and ujoints, when I looked up the parts for my truck there were 2 versions, my truck has all of the larger components. Sometimes it drives me nuts looking up steering parts for truck shops we sell to, its either or, and hope I send them the right parts.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Forgot some of the 96,97, and 99's are different than the 95 and down, my truck is a 95 F250, yet it has all of the components are of an F350, such as the steering and ujoints, when I looked up the parts for my truck there were 2 versions, my truck has all of the larger components. Sometimes it drives me nuts looking up steering parts for truck shops we sell to, its either or, and hope I send them the right parts.
Then someone has swapped in a Dana 60.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:15 AM

The NAPA quality parts are,

272-4201 L inner
269-5139 R inner
269-2929 L outer
269-2930 R outer
269-1123 R adj sleeve
269-1134 L adj sleeve
The Following User Says Thank You to dirtcrew51m For This Useful Post:
mikeallenbrown (06-13-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.