'97 7.3 Crank/No Start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 04:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'97 7.3 Crank/No Start

About three weeks ago I believe I experienced my first CPS failure. Going down the highway and truck started to shutter and eventually died. Would sometimes restart, but struggled to stay running. Pulled codes P0340 and P0344 on my scan gauge. In a pinch, I made the mistake of buying a "parts store" CPS for my replacement. Ended up resolving my issue and on my way I went.

Drove my truck into work Saturday morning with no issues. Went to leave that afternoon and truck would crank and crank but no start. Tach would sometimes move and sometimes not. Checked harness for CPS from around the alternator down to the sensor. Have not checked between that point and PCM. Checked resistance of ground wire and voltage of power wires, to find they were all correct. Located a Ford/IH black CPS Saturday evening from a friend with plans to install Sunday morning. Sensor was used but was said to be working well before removal from truck. Looked like the sensor had been installed for some time. Before installation of sensor, had both P0340 and P0344 codes set again. After installing the black sensor and reseting DTCs, the P0340 code went away but P0344 remained. Truck would still not start, with tach showing up only sometimes. I have been told P0344 will show up if you have been cranking the truck for a long period of time. After reading, I was told I could have a fuel delivery issue. With a little looking, I did happen to find that my ground wire for the relay for my e-fuel system was about disconnected, so I repaired that. Still no luck. Cleaned the open connections on my frame mounted pump and somehow after doing so my truck started. Ran well and had no issues. I drove the truck home at quitting time with no problems as well.

Sunday evening I take my truck to a buddies house with no issues. I spend a little over an hour there before we decide to leave in the truck. Truck started normal but after about three seconds of operation it just died, as if I shut the key off. Went to restart with no luck. At this point, I would turn the key and not even receive a crank. Ended up driving his truck to our destination and back. Tried starting my truck again when we got back and it fired up first try. Let it run for about five minutes and no issues on my 10-12 mile drive home. Once home I figured I would shut the truck off and try for a restart to see what would happen. All the truck would do is crank. After around the third try it did start. No codes (only P1111) showed up on the scan gauge.

Went to start the truck to leave for work this morning and once again, only crank and no fire. Now only code P0340 was showing on the scan gauge. While cranking I noted there was no tach reading. Needing to get to work, I have not been able to perform any further troubleshooting.

Things that may play factor
-Truck has remote start
-Have not installed new Ford/IH CPS (either used or parts store)
-Water pump failed a few weeks ago leaking out weep hole, which was pouring right onto the CPS. Pulled connector end for CPS apart and it appears to be looking just fine.

Things I've considered
-New connector end
-Brand new Ford/IH CPS
-Bad PCM
-Rubbed wire in harness
-Remote start messed up

I am almost completely stumped. I'm a little happier the truck is now at least home to work on and not somewhere else. Any and all help and advice/personal experience would be appreciated. I was considering getting a brand new sensor from Ford today just to be sure, but beyond that I am running out of ideas. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2014, 03:55 PM

I replaced the CPS with a brand new Ford unit yesterday. Truck actually ran even before I replaced it. Drove the truck about 50-60 miles throughout the rest of the day. It rained through the night between yesterday and today. Went to start the truck today and could only get it to crank, with no tach reading, once again. Got to looking and noticed a lot of corrosion on the bottom of the PCM. Looks like every time that it rains the PCM is exposed to some water. Seems to be my next area of choice to investigate.

Last edited by jml93; 05-15-2014 at 03:50 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:13 PM

You probably have a windshield leak.

Check the IDM for water as well.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
You probably have a windshield leak.

Check the IDM for water as well.
I was thinking the same thing. Because if it rains for an extended period of time, the carpet on the drivers side will become slightly damp, making me think that was is passing by the PCM.

Would the IDM cause this type of issue?

Took the PCM out and apart last night. Definitely has been exposed to some water, but not as bad as I was figuring. Tried cleaning it with contact cleaner and reinstalling it, still no start or tach. It's quite a stretch to be able to find a buddy that would wanna let me try his PCM.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:55 AM

IDM problem wouldn't affect the tach, but it would cause a no-start. Might wanna look for a junkyard take-off PCM, or from the classifieds on the forums. If you get this soggy one working, you'll have a spare, which is a good thing to have.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:34 PM

I was able to get ahold of two "known good" IDMs today. Just swapped one in with no change. Sometimes the tach will rise just a touch, but not that much and not always. I'm leaning towards a PCM. I found a buddy willing to help me out and let me use his. Hoping to do that either tomorrow or saturday at the latest. I'm not sure where exactly to locate a good one, besides where you mentioned above, to get another PCM. Thanks thus far for the help.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:21 AM

Tach is consistently rising most of the time now. Going to try the other IDM after lunch and hopefully trying the PCM later. Finally found a thread from a guy with identical issues and it ended up being his IDM.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:31 AM

Problem is now solved and truck is back on the road. The issue ended up being the PCM. Swapped with a buddies and had a good start every time. Re-installed mine and faced no starts or hard starts. Ordered a rebuilt PCM off eBay with a lifetime warranty and installed. Truck has been good ever since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.