Shock install Problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By madpogue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014, 11:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shock install Problems

I recently purchased a set of Bilstein 4600's. I have my old shocks off and I am having a real problem getting the new one's on. First I though, I could put it on enough to get the nut started and then me wrenching would get it on the rest of the way. That didn't work because I can't get it on enough. I tried beating it with a hammer to get it started and that didn't work. Please, any suggestions? I am wanting to finish out the front and rear this weekend and so far all I have done is take off the rear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2014, 11:56 AM

Sorry, getting the new ones installed on the stud on the truck for the top hole is where I am having the trouble. Also, it seems like the new shocks are longer than the old shocks.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:36 AM

Having trouble with front, rear or both? So the bolt isn't going all the way through? That's because the shock is trying to expand, and the grommet in the shock is not lining up with the holes in the hanger/mount. DON'T try to beat it; you're just beating the bolt against the flange of the hanger/mount. Try putting a ratchet strap around the shock, then you can cinch it down to where both holes line up, put both bolts through, spin the nuts on, then release the straps. With the front, if you have the bolt started, try prying down on the top of the shock and wiggling the bolt until it goes through the other flange.

Don't sweat the length; old shock is probably just worn. Ride height it set by the springs and their hangers/shackles.
Heavy_GD likes this.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:32 PM

I don't swap shocks very often but a shock that is too long won't get short enough when the suspension bottoms at full travel. Are you sure you have the correct shock?

And as madpogue suggests, the new shocks may have some pressurization (that is meant to keep the air out of the dampening oil) that may be causing a bolt-to-hole misalignment.

Is the vehicle being supported by the frame and the suspension at full droop or is the vehicle being supported by the axles?
Old 05-12-2014, 07:49 PM

The truck is most likely on the ground. That's the way most of us (that is, those of us without a shop, lift, etc) do our shocks. So a stock shock will need to be compressed to be installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.