No start no crank - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014, 06:26 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No start no crank

Truck started acting funny yesterday after i accidentally left my key in the run position for about 8-10 mins . Put the dog in the truck and went to to turn it over and she jumps out of the truck and goes to the neighbors. Anyways went to go catch her and forgot the truck was in the run position. Came back and the truck was dead so i jumped it and it ran fine. Later in the day i was sitting at the store parking lot with the truck running and the rpm gauge started jumping from 700 to 0 and eventually just stopped working. Then my odometer went out along with the speedo. Truck was still running so i drove it a little and the trans was in limp mode so i made it to another parking lot and pulled it in. Shut it off and when i turn the key back on the odometer flashed on for a second before going dead. Truck wouldnt crank just loud fast clicks when trying.Upon inspection i noticed the ground that bolts into the back of the alternator had completely melted off. Figured this was my problem so i replaced the alternator and it still wont start. Replaced the Cps also no change. Has a new speed sensor too. Any Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2014, 07:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Is the check engine light illuminated? Is the Wait-to-Start light coming on and going off like it normally would? Check all the battery cable connections for corrosion, etc. (both battery ends and the other end of the cables). Have each battery tested (independently). If one is bad, replace both. Cheers!
Old 05-06-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
Is the check engine light illuminated? Is the Wait-to-Start light coming on and going off like it normally would? Check all the battery cable connections for corrosion, etc. (both battery ends and the other end of the cables). Have each battery tested (independently). If one is bad, replace both. Cheers!
No check engine light. And yes the wts light does come on for a very short period of time, until the relay clicks over then my everything goes dead. I turn the key and as soon as the wait to start light goes away and i hear the click the odo goes out the speedo drops down to 0 and when i try to crank i get very loud fast clicks. batterys tested okay. Replaced the cps and alternator, checked fuses and grounds as best i could. Im stumped
Old 05-06-2014, 08:16 AM

Check the grounds again, dont just look at them, pull them off, wire brush them, wire brush the bolts that hold them on and the metal the ground contacts. a while back mine would hard start, idle rough and sometimes cut out. replaced the grounds that attach to the battery, cleaned all the grounds i could find with a wire brush and sprayed them with corrosion inhibitor ($5 at autozone) and havent had a problem since.

had a similar issue on my 1988 mustang 5.0, did the same thing, no issues.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did you LOAD test the batteries, with them disconnected from one another? Put a SLOW charge into each battery, separately, then LOAD test them, separately. The GPs do run for up to two minutes, but that should not run your batteries down to where they won't start the truck. The only thing energized after that is the PCM, and it won't run down your batteries after 10 minutes; certainly shouldn't run them dead.

If the batteries take a charge (or you replace them [see Patrick's note; always replace in pairs]), and you get it started, wait 'til the glow plugs cycle off, then check the running voltage. It could be that your alternator went, allowing your batteries to discharge. It could even be something as simple as the trigger connector for the alternator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.