Really need help, truck won't stay running, ford tech is stumped - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 10:10 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Really need help, truck won't stay running, ford tech is stumped

Have a 95 f250, 4x4 5 speed.

A few months back I came home from a week long vacation and went to start my truck. After sitting a week it took a few try's to start it.. Which is very unusual. Finally got it started and drove it for about a week, then one night at work I went to start it and it just would not start. Cranks fine but wouldn't fire, or even try to fire. Long story short it sat in the parking lot at work for about a week, I had to replace the batteries while it was there (didn't solve the problem, just needed new ones) but finally was able to get it home. Ran fine for a few days then nothing. I thought maybe the CPS was bad, so I replaced it with one from ford. Didn't work. Tried changing the fuel filter, didn't work. Put a new GPR on it for ****s and giggles, didn't work.

By this time, a guy I work with offered to come take a look at it with his snapon scan tool. So he comes over, hooks it up and while I'm cranking he says I needed a new IPR bc it was only reading like 80 psi or something. (Don't remember bc this is probably back in October) so I replaced the IPR and the truck fired up! Let it run for about a hour, then went and drove it for about a hour. Everything seemed fine except for under hard acceleration it seemed to lack power, and the fuel filter light would come on. (Brand new fuel filter). Then it shut off on me at a red light, but fired right back up. Drove it home and it died going into the driveway, again fired up. I parked it and it shut off again but this time would not restart.

Flash forward a few months... Haven't really been worried about it because I don't drive it in the winter anyway. I'm too busy to mess with it right now, so I had it towed to a guy I know who is a ford tech.

So he gets the good scan tool from work, truck shows a code for the IPR and it's reading low psi while cranking again. So he changes the IPR again and the truck fires up. He told me it ran for about a hour then shut off. He couldn't get it to restart again till this morning. He said it ran for 15 minutes then shut off and wouldn't restart again.

He told me he put a mechanical fuel pressure gauge on it and fuel pressure is ok, he says the IPR is reading correctly now, hpop pressure checks out as well.

However he did tell me (and this might be normal and I just never noticed) that while cranking, the "theft" light flashes on the dash. The factory theft light to be clear. Could that have something to do with this? I didn't think the OBS trucks came with a PATS system on them.. Just a crappy factory alarm.

He did tell me that after he noticed that he went and unlocked both doors with the key and still no luck.

Any help is appreciated. Would really like to be able to drive this thing again soon.

What's been done:
Scanned for codes with 2 good scan tools
2 new IPRs
New fuel filter
Fresh oil and oil filter
New GPR
New CPS (motorcraft)
New batteries
Fuel pressure tested
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2014, 04:32 AM

Bump!

Any ideas?
Old 04-17-2014, 09:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

What are the actual CODES coming up now?

Not sure what PATS is supposed to mean. '95 was the only year there was a factory anti-theft system on the OBS. Disarm information is in the owner's manual.

Disconnect the ICP (the _sensor_, NOT the _regulator_) and inspect the connector. If there's oil in it, the sensor has most likely failed; it may be why the PCM is reporting low injection pressure readings.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:17 AM

I believe it's not throwing any codes now

Pats is passive anti theft system.. Came on the super dutys... Would the anti theft system stop it from starting? It starts now and runs... But it shuts off within 5 minutes as if you turned the key off... But you didn't actually shut the key off..

Icp is dry.. Could it still be bad though even if oils not coming through it?
Old 04-21-2014, 06:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Do you have the proper fuel pressure when the truck fails to start? Or was it checked while it was running? Did the Ford Tech check the IDM and check for shorted or broken wires that connect the IPR to the rest of the harness?
Old 04-21-2014, 07:26 PM

I believe he checked fuel pressure for both, and both were ok.
He swapped in another known good idm tonight, and it did the same thing. He did check the wiring to the IPR and said it looked good.

Could this be a HPOP problem? It does take a few seconds cranking to build oil pressure before it starts
Old 04-21-2014, 07:42 PM

it has to be electrical because if it starts and idles , something is telling it to shut off ,
Old 04-22-2014, 02:14 AM

Yeah... That was my initial thinking as well.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:11 AM

Make sure the wire harness to the ipr is good. Ik if that shorts it will kill it like you turned the key off also a bad idm will do that too!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.