Truck Died - Any Ideas? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck Died - Any Ideas?

I started the truck yesterday and had low fuel pressure - ~25psi. I figured the pump was going a little slow because of weather (15 degrees) and let it run for a bit. Got up to ~35ish psi and took off. I made it a block - going down hill. Fuel pressure dropped and truck died. I figured it is a filter, walked back to house and took the wife's car to work.

Got home last night changed the filter - and still no fuel pressure. I have a friend key the ignition while I am down by the pump. Nothing happens - figured it is the pump.

Get home tonight and pull the pump. Take to Autozone get replacement and reinstall. Still nothing. Except a check engine light. I checked every fuse and all are good (except the 4 amp light dimmer fuse). I pull the fuel pump relay and it has a little corrosion on it. I didn't have a correct size replacement so will get that on the way home tomorrow.

Any ideas of what else to check? I have a check engine light (need to pull codes) and the pump doesn't turn on when the key is turned to ignition.

The "neighbor" that the truck is in front of called the police and now I have a tow warning. Need to get it fixed in 72 hours - which means I have until Saturday (when she is having a party)...

Sam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Premium Member

Does the wait to start come on?
Old 12-04-2008, 08:36 PM
Cynic

You modded your OBS to a SD setup right?

relay or wiring.

Replace the relay and let me know. We can wire something up.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yes to the WTS coming on.

Dirk - I need to update my signature everywhere, but yes. I run a super duty pump on the frame rail. Have had same wiring for 1.5 years, with no problem. I will replace the relay and check the positive/ground to make sure they are tight. I am a little concerned about the check engine light being on...

Sam
Old 12-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to nicho
This is going to sound stupid, but recheck the fuses. Do it properly, with an ohmeter. Just because a fuse doesn't look burnt doesn't mean it isn't. Also, do you have any mods (FPR shim?) and does the pump make noise? Is this on just one tank, or both?

The CEL is probably just a result of a symptom of your problem, not a root cause. Besides, the worst the CEL could be is electronic. Your long block is fine.

Last edited by nicho; 12-04-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

did you actually check the hot wire at the pump? the pump is pretty damn quiet unless you are right next to it
Old 12-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have a super duty pump feeding the heads through an Aeromotive regulator. There is nothing stock in the fuel system - other than the factory selector switch.

The pump makes absolutely no noise. It isn't real tight in its bracket so it should have started to hum if it engaged. I was trying to get it started to drive back to in front of my house to install 100 percent. It was 8 degrees while I was working on it...

I did not check anything with an multimeter. I will double check the positive/ground tomorrow when I replace the pump relay.

Thank you for the ideas - just trying to have a checklist to run through tomorrow when I get off work.

Sam
Old 12-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well I got the multimeter out this weekend with the truck in front of the house and couldn't find where the problem is. Maybe I just don't know how to use a multimeter

Took all the wiring out and replaced with heavy duty wire and better relay. Voila - truck fires and running great. For now

Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.