steering wobble Need new answer - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 12-01-2008, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
steering wobble Need new answer

well, i just typed a bunch, my computer timed out and i lost it all. So here's an abbreviated situation.

I've got a shimmy in my steering wheel and axle when i put on the brakes, especially at about 55 to come to a stop.
i've read all the posts and etc, and still i'm stumped.

I did the Kingpin Dana 60 swap about a year a go and within the last month my truck started shaking when stopping.

I replaced track bar bushings, wheel bearings, rotors, calipers, seals, and kingpins 1 year ago, basically everything, linkages, etc, except the gears.

The rotors seem fine, not warped, and i don't feel any vibration in the brake pedal, just a severe wobble in the steering. it's not enough to make me not drive it, but it's enough that i know something is out of wack.

My tires are good, my shocks are 3 years old.

i do not have a steering stabilizer, haven't needed one in the last year, but will get one. would it make a difference?

I don't have a sway bar.

My rear driver's side recently wanted to act like it was sticking, I replaced the shoes and springs, etc, and after a little trouble, seem to have it working right. I figured that it was somehow the culprit, the problem seems to be less, but it still shimmies. Help. I'm at the point now that i can't remember what all to throw at it because i've run out of ideas and suggestions from here. But if i didn't have this forum, i'd really be stumped. so thanks in advance guys.

Other than putting the F350 springs with the axle during the swap, i never touched the spring hangers, shackles or whatever. Possible?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
el conquistador
'97 F250 ext. cab 4x4. DIY intake, 3" DP, kitty gutted, TW chip
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 4-15-09 Tranny rebuilt, FPR shim, tech forum exhaust brake, isspro EGT gauge(stealth mounted)
292,000 miles, Dana 60 kingpin conversion, (thank you pipelayer!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-01-2008, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sounds like rotors to me. How did you check them?

Jason

"Using a thug's murderous rampage to call for gun control is like using Barack's reckless spending to call for higher taxes."

--Michael Berry, American philosophizer & Talk Radio Czar, 1970-?
post #3 of 16 Old 12-01-2008, 10:46 AM

if it only does it after the vehicle has been sitting for a while it could possibly be a tire flat spotting, but I'd install a quality stabilizer anyway

platinum edition F250 crewcab, 7.3 powerstroke,8 inch fabtech, 37x13.5x20 kumho m/t, 20x10 A/R teflon thug,6 FOX shocks and stabilizer, stainless toolbox, line-x, 4 inch exhaust, AEM intake, wicked wheel, Dp-tuner, Autometer C2 Gauges, kenwood in dash TV/DVD with navigation, sirius, bluetooth and back up camera, infinity and JL audio speakers, PPI amp, 08 diff cover, braided brake lines, onboard air w/ train horns,E-Z down tailgate

post #4 of 16 Old 12-01-2008, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

well, we put a straight edge next to the rotor and turned them. Plus, i figure i'd feel it in the brake pedal if it was. Hard to tell though when the steering wheel is jerking!!

Probably will just pull the rotors and try new ones. I hate that. But i gotta start marking some things off the list.

As far as the flat spot on the tires, it doesn't happen. my truck is my daily driver and it doesn't sit for too long.

Any suggestions on the steering stablilizer? I saw the shock for like $40, but the mount makes it more. Any cheaper ones?
thanks

el conquistador
, 4-15-09 Tranny rebuilt, FPR shim, tech forum exhaust brake, isspro EGT gauge(stealth mounted)
post #5 of 16 Old 12-01-2008, 12:42 PM

I got mine from Autoanything for 53$ shipped(skyjacker)single, since I'm just running 305's, the next day they were on sale for 35$

New Girl-2016 F250 Lariat 4X4 CC

96 F350 4X4 SRW,CC (gone)
post #6 of 16 Old 12-01-2008, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ok. I know you said you just replaced the bearings but have you checked them for failure? If you jack the truck up and put one hand on the top of the tire and one on the bottom and pull in and out. It shouldn't move and if it does that's your problem. Other than that I can't think of anything else.

As far as the steering stabalizer I think that's about as cheap as it gets.

Jason

"Using a thug's murderous rampage to call for gun control is like using Barack's reckless spending to call for higher taxes."

--Michael Berry, American philosophizer & Talk Radio Czar, 1970-?
post #7 of 16 Old 12-01-2008, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

thanks

yeah, bearings are ok. checked em. I guess eventually i'll figure it out. thanks for all the help guys.

el conquistador
post #8 of 16 Old 12-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via Yahoo to big25country
I have a similar thing

I get a random vibration that gets worse at 55 mph. I don't get it all the time and it builds up. Like, I can feel it coming on, it'll get worse and worse until everything is shaking. Then I'll park it, get in it later and the vibration is gone. Sometimes it'll go away on it's own while driving.

Man, if anyone can give me some help that'd be great! I know it could be so many things and I don't have the money to put all new tires, suppsion, and axle assemblies.

Thanks!

White 02 F-250 Lariat 7.3, 4dr, 4wd, Auto.
DIY 6637 intake, Foil Delete, 2" lift, Cobra 29 CB w/ 102" whip, Harley Headlights, 305/70 R 16 NITTO Terra Grapplers,
4" Grand Rock exhasut w/ 5" Aussie Stacks, TW 6 pos chip, Autometer gauges

post #9 of 16 Old 12-08-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big25country View Post
I get a random vibration that gets worse at 55 mph. I don't get it all the time and it builds up. Like, I can feel it coming on, it'll get worse and worse until everything is shaking. Then I'll park it, get in it later and the vibration is gone. Sometimes it'll go away on it's own while driving.

Man, if anyone can give me some help that'd be great! I know it could be so many things and I don't have the money to put all new tires, suppsion, and axle assemblies.

Thanks!
I've seen several lifted jeeps with that same problem, complete alignment usually fixes the problem and sometimes a heavier duty steering stabilizer.

platinum edition F250 crewcab, 7.3 powerstroke,8 inch fabtech, 37x13.5x20 kumho m/t, 20x10 A/R teflon thug,6 FOX shocks and stabilizer, stainless toolbox, line-x, 4 inch exhaust, AEM intake, wicked wheel, Dp-tuner, Autometer C2 Gauges, kenwood in dash TV/DVD with navigation, sirius, bluetooth and back up camera, infinity and JL audio speakers, PPI amp, 08 diff cover, braided brake lines, onboard air w/ train horns,E-Z down tailgate

post #10 of 16 Old 12-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via Yahoo to big25country
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikktruk01 View Post
I've seen several lifted jeeps with that same problem, complete alignment usually fixes the problem and sometimes a heavier duty steering stabilizer.
Cool! Thanks for the info. Luckly it's not too bad and doesn't happen too often.

White 02 F-250 Lariat 7.3, 4dr, 4wd, Auto.
DIY 6637 intake, Foil Delete, 2" lift, Cobra 29 CB w/ 102" whip, Harley Headlights, 305/70 R 16 NITTO Terra Grapplers,
4" Grand Rock exhasut w/ 5" Aussie Stacks, TW 6 pos chip, Autometer gauges

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode