steering wobble Need new answer - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2008, 09:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
steering wobble Need new answer

well, i just typed a bunch, my computer timed out and i lost it all. So here's an abbreviated situation.

I've got a shimmy in my steering wheel and axle when i put on the brakes, especially at about 55 to come to a stop.
i've read all the posts and etc, and still i'm stumped.

I did the Kingpin Dana 60 swap about a year a go and within the last month my truck started shaking when stopping.

I replaced track bar bushings, wheel bearings, rotors, calipers, seals, and kingpins 1 year ago, basically everything, linkages, etc, except the gears.

The rotors seem fine, not warped, and i don't feel any vibration in the brake pedal, just a severe wobble in the steering. it's not enough to make me not drive it, but it's enough that i know something is out of wack.

My tires are good, my shocks are 3 years old.

i do not have a steering stabilizer, haven't needed one in the last year, but will get one. would it make a difference?

I don't have a sway bar.

My rear driver's side recently wanted to act like it was sticking, I replaced the shoes and springs, etc, and after a little trouble, seem to have it working right. I figured that it was somehow the culprit, the problem seems to be less, but it still shimmies. Help. I'm at the point now that i can't remember what all to throw at it because i've run out of ideas and suggestions from here. But if i didn't have this forum, i'd really be stumped. so thanks in advance guys.

Other than putting the F350 springs with the axle during the swap, i never touched the spring hangers, shackles or whatever. Possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2008, 09:20 AM

Sounds like rotors to me. How did you check them?
Old 12-01-2008, 09:46 AM

if it only does it after the vehicle has been sitting for a while it could possibly be a tire flat spotting, but I'd install a quality stabilizer anyway
Old 12-01-2008, 11:27 AM

well, we put a straight edge next to the rotor and turned them. Plus, i figure i'd feel it in the brake pedal if it was. Hard to tell though when the steering wheel is jerking!!

Probably will just pull the rotors and try new ones. I hate that. But i gotta start marking some things off the list.

As far as the flat spot on the tires, it doesn't happen. my truck is my daily driver and it doesn't sit for too long.

Any suggestions on the steering stablilizer? I saw the shock for like $40, but the mount makes it more. Any cheaper ones?
thanks
Old 12-01-2008, 11:42 AM

I got mine from Autoanything for 53$ shipped(skyjacker)single, since I'm just running 305's, the next day they were on sale for 35$
Old 12-01-2008, 11:56 AM

Ok. I know you said you just replaced the bearings but have you checked them for failure? If you jack the truck up and put one hand on the top of the tire and one on the bottom and pull in and out. It shouldn't move and if it does that's your problem. Other than that I can't think of anything else.

As far as the steering stabalizer I think that's about as cheap as it gets.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:19 PM

thanks

yeah, bearings are ok. checked em. I guess eventually i'll figure it out. thanks for all the help guys.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:46 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via Yahoo to big25country
I have a similar thing

I get a random vibration that gets worse at 55 mph. I don't get it all the time and it builds up. Like, I can feel it coming on, it'll get worse and worse until everything is shaking. Then I'll park it, get in it later and the vibration is gone. Sometimes it'll go away on it's own while driving.

Man, if anyone can give me some help that'd be great! I know it could be so many things and I don't have the money to put all new tires, suppsion, and axle assemblies.

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big25country View Post
I get a random vibration that gets worse at 55 mph. I don't get it all the time and it builds up. Like, I can feel it coming on, it'll get worse and worse until everything is shaking. Then I'll park it, get in it later and the vibration is gone. Sometimes it'll go away on it's own while driving.

Man, if anyone can give me some help that'd be great! I know it could be so many things and I don't have the money to put all new tires, suppsion, and axle assemblies.

Thanks!
I've seen several lifted jeeps with that same problem, complete alignment usually fixes the problem and sometimes a heavier duty steering stabilizer.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via Yahoo to big25country
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikktruk01 View Post
I've seen several lifted jeeps with that same problem, complete alignment usually fixes the problem and sometimes a heavier duty steering stabilizer.
Cool! Thanks for the info. Luckly it's not too bad and doesn't happen too often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.